What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My third LJ trade beer of the night. I like this one. Got to have it a couple years ago courtesy of WesleyS, though I'll admit I don't remember much about it except that I liked it. Not sure I'd agree that a "boatload" of Amarillo was used, but it's got a nice Amarillo character, even if a little less aggressive than they may claim.

20140203_204000 by aaron.j.lott, on Flickr

Gravity sample of my Weizenbock. Got the Weizen part down (nice dose of wheat and banana and clove), but the Bock part is lacking. Definitely a malty beer, but it doesn't have the rich dark malt character I was hoping for (especially with all that work with the decoctions). Certainly tasty, but needs some tweaking. However, it's also still very young, so I'm probably judging prematurely.

I didnt make a weizen bock but a regular traditional definitely appreciates with age. I wouldnt say it was truly good until about 6 months in bottles. That was my first attempt at a lager though so perhaps a more experienced brewer would get better results quicker?

Attachments

• IMG_1546.jpg
    IMG_1546.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 92
I didnt make a weizen bock but a regular traditional definitely appreciates with age. I wouldnt say it was truly good until about 6 months in bottles. That was my first attempt at a lager though so perhaps a more experienced brewer would get better results quicker?

That's certainly my hope. This has always been a perplexing style to me. "Weizen" screams "drink fresh!" while "Bock" screams "Age me!".

Meanwhile, taking it easy the rest of the night. Seltzer water.

My third LJ trade beer of the night. I like this one. Got to have it a couple years ago courtesy of WesleyS, though I'll admit I don't remember much about it except that I liked it. Not sure I'd agree that a "boatload" of Amarillo was used, but it's got a nice Amarillo character, even if a little less aggressive than they may claim.

20140203_204000 by aaron.j.lott, on Flickr

Some boats are bigger than others. Guess they have a row boat

sent from the abyss with Bill Murray.

Water. Had the hydrometer sample of my rye saison earlier, it was delicious. After dinner I will have a homebrew saison (non-rye).

Samuel Adams Rebel IPA. Not too bad. Then onto a little rest of the bottle of Iqhilika- African fig mead that Ive had a while. Good stuff is like smokey/raisony.

My final beer of the night (probably), also courtesy of LemonJelly. This an OK beer. The balance is good, but for a DIPA I'm just not getting the intense hop aromas and flavors I expect. According to the label there were 5 pounds per barrel used in this beer, but I don't believe it based on the level of hop aroma and flavor. That said, it's still an enjoyable and very drinkable beer, so I am quite enjoying it. I just don't think I'd call it a DIPA if I were to taste it blind.

20140203_212000 by aaron.j.lott, on Flickr

I get wintergreen pine. And grapefruit. Aroma is mild though but decent, lacking some of the character from Amarillo and simcoe though. Still has that bit of salty/mineral signature flavor I get with most of SA beers I notice all the time.

Killing the last of my growler of flat branch IPA from last night from a plastic hotel cup. Too beat to take a photo.

Had a Sculpin with dinner and having an Upslope Foreign Extra Stout as a nightcap. Still undecided on the Upslope, but It's new distribution here.

I call it Bitcastle - Newcastle poured into the Bitburger glass I "inherited" from my grandfather when my Dad and I found it while cleaning the house out.

kcxi.png

I'm actually staggering Newcastle-Budweiser-Newcastle-Budweiser, ad infinitum, since I haven't gotten down to the heaven known as Macklind Deli here in St. Louis recently, and Newcastle gives me the worst hangovers if I exclusively drink it.

Cut me some slack. It's a Monday night, I got off work at 8, and don't have class tomorrow.

Wow, my schedule actually caught this thread at a slow time!

Man, these existential "Man, I love this girl, she likes me (maybe? Oh God who knows, initiate crisis), but somebody officially has her heart, even if it's caving soon" crises really suck when you're drinking. Every time.

Alcohol is the best friend a man can have. Helps him actually look at his life from a new perspective, and is fun. Thanks, pal :mug:

And thanks Tom Waits, for giving my nights of drinking some sort of meaning and reflection. I swear, the day Tom dies will be the second saddest time in my life thus far, following the time I received the call from my mother about my grandfather passing away, whom I had finally become really close to after a lifetime of distance thanks to his second wife. This one's to you! I'm sure he'd be on the edge of his seat if he were still around and knew I was actually BREWING MY OWN BEER. Glad to know I can do at least one part of his legacy justice, and hopefully more as I age :D

Sorry for getting sappy on you guys. That's what happens when the lady goes to bed, and all my friends are asleep ;)

Edit: Good night, folks (at least, to us American fellows). We're all innocent when we dream. It's just when we're awake that we raise hell.

Last edited by a moderator:
My final beer of the night (probably), also courtesy of LemonJelly. This an OK beer. The balance is good, but for a DIPA I'm just not getting the intense hop aromas and flavors I expect. According to the label there were 5 pounds per barrel used in this beer, but I don't believe it based on the level of hop aroma and flavor. That said, it's still an enjoyable and very drinkable beer, so I am quite enjoying it. I just don't think I'd call it a DIPA if I were to taste it blind.

I had a similar impression on that beer when I had it.

Coffee as I'm about to hit the road to CT. Meeting wobrien on my way back home to execute a little trade as well...

Airport coffee. Tues-Friday in Austin this week. yay...

Made the mistake of trying to reason with a TSA agent this morning. Silly me.

Airport coffee. Tues-Friday in Austin this week. yay...

Made the mistake of trying to reason with a TSA agent this morning. Silly me.

I believe there is a federal statute prohibiting them from using common sense or anything resembling logical thinking.

Sent by yelling very loudly

View attachment 177029
Getting my blend on. I can see that this is going to take lots of practice. Wish I had a 15 gallon corny to bottle from.

Cascade makes its look easy.

Drinking water as I figure out if im working today or not. Only about 4 inches on the ground now but there is a 80-100% chance of snow all day until 10 pm. I dont think ill be working :D

Back