Stepping Up Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJadedDog

AFK ATM
Reaction score
So, the last time I made a starter I boiled 16oz of water, added DME, and ended up with just under 16oz of wort. I put this in a 1L container and let it ferment out and it worked just fine for my Newcastle clone.

This weekend I am hoping to brew a porter with the yeast I collected from my previous batch and I am wondering about making a larger starter. Do I start with the 16oz, let it ferment out, then add to more wort? Do I just start with 32oz? What about 48oz?

Also, is it better to add the starter to more wort when stepping up the starter or just add wort to the starter?

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

I have 1 liter erlemeyer flask and 1 gallon growers. I start off with the 1 pint and then add it to 2 quarts of fresh wort. I do this when there is a good kreuzen on the pint starter. You'll need another day for this to really get going before you pitch it.

Back