Just had my first Barleywine- Druid Fluid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BearsWickedBrew

Reaction score
At first...i was like wow..this is potent...so many strong flavors- all of which are pretty well balanced (personally- I would probably prefer a bit more of a bitter flavor). If I had to describe it to someone who's never had it- I'd say its like a very concentrated ale. I drank the whole 22oz- defintely felt that high ABV by the end of it (if not half way thru.) Nothing like expanding the beer palette- I look forward to drinking many more of these. :mug:

I love Druid Fluid! Middle Ages had it on cask at this years Empire Brew Fest. Very tasty...stopped there a few times:D

I've had much better barleywines than Druid Fluid... It wasn't terrible, but I've had more complex BWs and the Fluid had the same cat-piss type off-flavor I got from several of their ales when I visited their taproom last fall.

I'm not sure if its the yeast strain they use or something else? Possibly the actual cats that were crawling around on the 'tasting bar' in the taproom?! That was definitely disgusting...

I've had the Druid Fluid. I'll pass. There are plenty of other great barleywines to drink.

As for Middle Ages, that sucks about the tasting and the cat piss. I never noticed the cats in there. Although I haven't been there since last summer. Grail Ale and Kilt Tilter are my two favorite by them. On a side note, I find the Middle Ages beer to be quite expensive for the area. You would think with it being a local, we'd have better prices...

If you want more of the bitter taste. Try Big Foot Ale, by Sierra Nevada. Its very hoppy, and can actually be mistaken for a big IPA. You'll like it. But be sure to put a few back so you can let them age.

Back