OG and SRM too high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackZX3

Reaction score
I hit a 1.080 OG on an octobterfest I just finished brewing and racking into primary. Currently the volume of beer in the fermenter is 5 gallons. Can I add a couple gallons of water to get my gravity down to something more within style (around a 1.057) It has been in the primary for 24 hours and I already pitched the yeast. If nothing can be done, i guess I will just sit back and relax, but I would really like to lighten it up. Is it possible to ass water when I rack into secondary? I am using Wyeast Bohemian Lager yeast and I used an extract recipe with 7 lbs of Plain DME 4oz dextrin, and I mashed about 2lbs total of aromatic, vienna, caramunich prior to the boil. Any help would be appreciated.

You can add some pre boiled water to the fermenter if you want. If it were me I would leave it and see how it turns out. You may have to age it a bit longer but it might be interesting to see how it comes out.
It sounds like you could use a brewing program like ProMash to calculate your brews. They are only about $20 and will save you the hassle of missing your gravity and SRM. Give it a shot. There are free trials for some of them so you can check them out before you purchase.:mug:

Latest posts

Back