Pitching Wyeast and White Labs together?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedBarnGuy

Reaction score
I'm brewing a high gravity (1.085) beer this weekend and will need to double pitch the yeast. Trouble is, I only have one pack of Wyeast 1056 American Ale and none of the local brewing supply stores carry Wyeast.

My question to the board is this: can I pitch Wyeast 1056 American Ale and White Labs WLP001 California Ale Yeast together? Is there any risk that they will compete with one another? Any other issues to consider?

And btw, making a starter is not an option for me, as I travel during the week and brew on weekends.

Thanks!
RBG

it doesnt matter if they compete, they're both the chico. you could also just make a real wort starter, i.e. pitch the pack into 2L or so of your wort and pitch it into your batch the next day once its started.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I like the idea of doing a "real" wort starter on Saturday to pitch into the full batch on Sunday...had not thought of that before.

And yes, I could ask my wife to make the starter during the week, but then A) I wouldn't have control of the sanitation of my beer, and B) it would heap one more thing on top of her work and managing the kids while I'm gone during the week. She probably wouldn't be very enthusiastic about that.

Best idea goes to Brewit2it, but the train already left the station.:)

Make your starter sooner and let it ferment out so you can decant the spent starter wort instead of dumping it into your nice fresh wort.

Back