Briess, Rahr or CMC Pale Ale Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnpreuss

Reaction score
Ok I have read the threads but what is your experience using these malts in an English bitter/Special/ESB?

I know the purists out there are going to say you have to use MO but Red Hook continually wins awards for its ESB and it uses US 2 row. So thoughts/??? I'm not saying I'm too cheap to buy the MO because I have it on my shopping list but I figured if these are close I can get two for one on the sack price.

I'm a purist that only uses MO, it imparts a malty and biscuity flavor that US 2 Row will not give you. You can use it if you want but you'll have to get your flavor from specialty grains. Btw, I don't care how many awards Red Hook wins I still think that is a poor example of an ESB.

I am brewing my first Special Bitter tomorrow and I am using Maris Otter. You're free to use 2-row if you want.

I find it a bit amusing that you have no trouble negating using the classic malt for a bitter but are concerned which 2-row to buy. :)

I think he's concerned due to cost and availability since those three 2-rows are the cheapest you can get your hands on. I just burned through the last of my Malteurop 2-row which is another fairly bland base malt. Ride on specialty grains and you will be better able to tune your recipe to your taste. If you go with CMC's Superior or Briess' Pale Ale then you will get a little more color and flavor than the palest of the two-rows.

I'm not questioning the regular 2 row, it was the fact that they offer a pale ale malt and I was wondering how it compared. I was actually contemplating optic vs MO vs regular British PA Malt but the fact I could get almost 2 for one getting the domestic vs the European drove me to ask the question. I have bought a sack of CMC 2 Row and PA Malt and there was a noticable difference. But having never used MO or any other British PA Malt I was just wondering if these other Pale ale malts did more flavorwise than normal domestic 2 row.

I was just wondering if these other Pale ale malts did more flavorwise than normal domestic 2 row.

I believe an american PA malt is about halfway between American 2-row and MO in terms of biscuity and malt flavor.

Latest posts

Back