Another Okie new to the hobby.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BHowe

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Glad to have found such an information packed forum here.

My SWMBO and I decided we needed a hobby to do together. We love to cook and grill, so this was sort of a natural progression. Also as we get older we find our selves really wanting to be done with the bar scene.

We both like good beer, so it was only natural to have homebrewed goodness on tap. With 5 successful brew days under our belts we are now looking to make the move to AG. I'm currently researching just exactly what type of rig fits us best.

Our keezer is currently operating with cobra taps. I also have all items here to put 3 faucets in the door. We are just trying to decide on what color to paint/stain etc. and then we'll be off the races.

Hoooray Beer! :mug:

Brandon Howe

Hey Brother, welcome. Good to see another okie on here. Why are you wanting to move to AG so quickly? I just painted my keezer a couple of weeks ago. Just use a good paint and you should be fine. I used Rustolem satin and it worked great. I have also used Rustolem Universal - Hammered Black that type of paint will hold up well. In fact I would have used it on my keezer but they don't make it in Red. At lowes or home depot that rustolem universal is like $8 but if you go to Hobby Lobby you can get it for like half that or more.

Key Kerberbb, we just like the idea of doing all of the brewing and learning to work with the actual grain. Right now doing extract it seems like something is missing step wise.

I would like to get a 15 gallon brew kettle and convert it to electric and go ahead and convert the 7.5 gallon SS kettle we have now to a HLT (possibly electric also). We are currently using this kettle for our boils with a turkey fryer. I'm still torn on what to do for the MLT.

Do you prime your keezer before painting? Ours is the white Kenmore 8.8cf model that we are going to add a 2X8 collar too. We are planning to paint the lid with chalk board paint and may just do the same for the collar and bottom if we can't find a flat paint to match the chalkboard stuff.

I did not prime my keezer before painting. I just cleaned it with pre-paint prep solution. I have painted some things with Chalkboard paint, and honestly it sucks. It is best used in small doses (think tap handles). Larger areas just do not look at as uniform, and it is time consuming to make it look uniform. Mainly because it covers poorly. I know because I painted a door in my girls gameroom. Here are some pics of my keg-a-razor. You will notice the black on a couple of plastic parts. It is the Rustolem Universal in Hammered Black. Honestly if I were you I would do the whole thing in it.

DSC_0299.jpg

DSC_0302.jpg

DSC_0303.jpg

It looks good, thinking of just doing the lid in the chalkboard stuff, and the rest in a rustoleum hammered something. Thanks for the ideas.

I finished the collar tonight.

You've got that right.

So much good stuff that we can't even get in this state because of the liquor laws.

Back