Need Information: First Kit Tastes Like Buttery Alcohol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trokair

Reaction score
So my first kit is a Vintner's Reserve Riesling. I am starting to bottle it so this is my first taste test. It smells really wonderfull, lots of sweet fruit notes. The taste however leaves something lacking. It takes like butter mixed with vodka. I did add an additional tablespoon of metabisulphite so that the wine would hang around longer after ageing. It came in with an FG of .992.

So will the butter taste age out or did I just bottle 30 bottles of paint thinner?

Once it ages for a few months, the flavor will start to pop out at you and you'll appreciate those buttery notes. Let it age.

So my first kit is a Vintner's Reserve Riesling. I am starting to bottle it so this is my first taste test. It smells really wonderfull, lots of sweet fruit notes. The taste however leaves something lacking. It takes like butter mixed with vodka. I did add an additional tablespoon of metabisulphite so that the wine would hang around longer after ageing. It came in with an FG of .992.

So will the butter taste age out or did I just bottle 30 bottles of paint thinner?

Was that a typo? A TABLEspoon of k-meta? Because 1/4 teaspoon is more like the correct dosage for 6 gallons. It'll take a long, long, long, long time for the k-meta to dissipate if you really used a tablespoon. That could explain the poor flavor, though.

Was that a typo? A TABLEspoon of k-meta? Because 1/4 teaspoon is more like the correct dosage for 6 gallons. It'll take a long, long, long, long time for the k-meta to dissipate if you really used a tablespoon. That could explain the poor flavor, though.

I believe that a tablespoon is what I put in it. I will have to check my notes when I get home. I forget where I got the dosage from but I didn't make it up on the fly, I read that amount somewhere. I basically just wanted the wine to hang around for at least 3 years. If that means it won't even be drinkable until 6 months in the bottle I am okay with that I guess. I just don't want to waste the product and the effort.

Any idea how long is a long long long time? We talking 2 years? More?

Back