Crab Apple Cider...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

means0451

Reaction score
Has anyone ever made a cider from crab apples? I have access to crab apple trees that put out tons of apples every year. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried it? What did it taste like? Was it very tart and tangy like crab apples are? :confused:

Has anyone ever made a cider from crab apples? I have access to crab apple trees that put out tons of apples every year. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried it? What did it taste like? Was it very tart and tangy like crab apples are? :confused:

I've made crabapple wine, and it is by far the best white wine I ever made. They are not small ornamental crabs, though- they are "real" crabapples. They look like apples, only smaller. The taste is like apple wine, but a bit spicy, too. I think my recipe is posted- if not, let me know and I'll go dig it up.

The wine is unlike anything else- but I ferment it dry and drink it as a table wine. It's best compared to a pinot grigio if I have to compare it to a commercial wine. But, it's fruity and dry and a bit spicy.

Thanks Yooper, i found your recipe, it sounds delicious I am gonna have to try it with a big bag of apples that I have in my freezer right now.My crab apples are goodonesto use,I have been eating them for years and have always wanted to try a cideror winemadefrom them.

i just found out there are some crab apple trees in my apartment complex. how can i tell if they're ornamental or not? just bite into one and see how it tastes?

Latest posts

Back