First starter, stirplate, and decanting, how much a cake should I have?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macdadmorgan

Reaction score
Friday night I made a starter with my new stir plate. I used 4oz of DME, 1 liter of water, boiled it, brought it down to pitching temps, added the yeast(wyeast american ale II) , and through it on the plate. I had intentions of using it yesterday(sat), but ended up working on my rig all day. So I put the starter in the fridge, about 24 hours after I started it. Today, sunday mourning, I took a look and the cake looks like their is around a cup, maybe a little more. Does this sound about right?
For the decant, do I just try and pour the beer that is on the top out with out loosing any of the yeast? What temp should I pitch it at? Right out the fridge, or let it get up to room temp?
Sorry for the newb Questions, I did a search and found some of what I am asking, but would like some general consensus.
Thanks
Morgan

Sounds about right for quantity...

Pull it from the fridge and slowly pour off the beer leaving just enough to swirl the cake into solution, or if it starts breaking away when pouring stop when the beer gets cloudy so you don't toss perfectly good yeast. Do this while cold as when it warms up it will start going back into solution. Then pitch as close to the temp of the wort as you can get it to minimize temp shock.

Sounds like you have it down. I wouldn't worry TOO much about the yeast temp. Personally I make my starters a few days ahead, refridgerate, decant, and pitch cold. I've seen articles for and against it but my fermentations start within 2-3 hours and I'm happy with that. Personal preference.

Back