is it infected

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shananko2000

Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm brewing a octane IPA w/ oak chips form midwest supplies. I used the Muntons activated brewing yeast. Pinched in at 80 degrees into the primary fermenter. I let sit for two weeks before transferring into the secondary. My S.G. last reading was 1.020. Now i have what looks like, pellicle on my beer. It had appeared when i added the IPA and oak chips to the secondary fermenter. There are white clumps floating around and a 1/4" film. There is condensation on the inside of the glass carboy. The air lock is not balanced at all. Any thoughts on my brain teaser.

Thanks for all your help

shaun

We really need to see pictures, because it could just as easily be a tiny krauzen forming because you racking at 1.020 may just caused fermentation to kick up a bit more. We can't make that distinction without seeing it.

Yeah I boiled it for a couple minutes. I also some fermentation activty when i transfered it to the carboy, very little but there was a layer of c02 and bubbles along the top and in the ridges of the carboy.

Sha-pow and here is the pic.

28190_397327923603_821618603_3978615_8075984_n.jpg

It's hard to tell, looks like driied krausen curdels on the top of the carboy, and some remaining yeast on the surface. You said you had some fermentation activity, and since you sanitized the chips I'm going to bet that it is just some krausen.

Not sure about an infection - smell and taste will be the ultimate indicator there.
Whether it's infected or not, I'll bet you're going to get an appreciable alcohol/wine like flavor. That and the "strong" smell are likely due to high fermentation temps. Pitching at 80 degrees is too warm, and I'd be surprised if you were able to get the temps down to an appropriate level before it resulted in off flavors, regardless of the temp control measures employed.

Oh, I got the oak chips in the secondary, but what is the "IPA"? Do you mean dry hopping?

Not sure about an infection - smell and taste will be the ultimate indicator there.
Whether it's infected or not, I'll bet you're going to get an appreciable alcohol/wine like flavor. That and the "strong" smell are likely due to high fermentation temps. Pitching at 80 degrees is too warm, and I'd be surprised if you were able to get the temps down to an appropriate level before it resulted in off flavors, regardless of the temp control measures employed.

Oh, I got the oak chips in the secondary, but what is the "IPA"? Do you mean dry hopping?

I don't think i am using a dry hop method. I used pellet hops during the boil.

So far what i have read, 80 degrees is a good temp for pinching. What temp do you pinch an IPA at?

Between about 64 and 70 would be a much more ideal temperature for the fermentation of almost all ales. If you find it difficult to maintain temps that low you could either put your carboy/bucket in a water bath with frozen bottles of water or put a wet towel/t-shirt on in and blow a fan towards it. Or both. 80 degrees will certainly ferment, but the stress on the yeast from that temperature will frequently result in the production of higher alcohols and other off flavors.

I don't know who said it first, but I have heard the following:

"If it don't smell like Satan's taint, it ain't infected"

i have 3 infected( enhanced) beers right now and believe me if you smell it you be able to tell. and ya get it below 70 you will probably have high alcohol flavors.

Back