Didn't hit final gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nytelyte

Reaction score
I brewed the 'Nightcap Cherry Stout' kit from Midwest, and have a question about original and final gravities.. This is my 4th kit and that still learning.
I hit a couple points high on the OG, 1.050 when the target spread was 1.040-1.046. Its looking for a final in @ 1.010-.012, and after 3 weeks @65 - 67 degrees in primary its sitting at 1.018, which is more points high than my OG was high, based on their spread.

What could cause this? Is there anything I can do? Do I need to be worried about bottling & overcarbing as the yeast is not done? I'm not worried or stressed over a smidgen less alcohol than expected, but don't want to pop a bottle or 48..
If the answer is RDWHAHB I can totally accept that. :mug:

& Why would my OG be high? Followed the directions exactly, target volumes came out just fine. Again, not worried, just curious.

I have a Bourbon Barrel stout right next to it that I brewed 2 days afterwords & nailed the target spread. Its about to get racked to secondary for aging and chips, so I don't think my method is wrong (aeration & temps, as those two batches used the same yeast.)

If it is an extract kit it is possible that your extract had more unfermentable sugars in it. Alot of times extract brews will get stuck around 1.020.

Another thing you probably topped up your fermenter before you took your reading. If you didn't have it mixed up well or if you let it sit a while before you took your gravity reading it could cause an error in gravity. If you did not top up with enough water that could cause a high OG.

If you know your yeast's attenuation factor then you can get a pretty good idea of if you are finished or not. For instance if the yeast will attenuate 75% then 75% of 1.050 is 1.013 so then you would know the yeast did not come close to doing its job but if it will attenuate 65% then 1.018 is right on the money.

You could also stir up the yeast a little and wait a couple days and take another reading. Wont hurt anything.

I was having the same issue with my previous two beers. In talking to my LHBS he told me that any time there is a sudden drop in temp, your yeast will stall out and not finish fermenting. Seeing that you are in OH I am assuming your winters are pretty cold. Depending on where you do your fermenting, this could have been the case. He told me to add another layer in insulation between my carboy and concrete floor on my next batch. If my primary stalls before getting near the FG, sanitize your racking cane, give it a stir to re-activate your yeast. He said that generally does the trick. I just racked my beer this morning and after having that extra layer of insulation, I was right on my FG target for this next beer.
Good luck!

Their projected gravity was up to SG 1.046 and you got SG 1.050... difference of SG 0.004 or 1 degree Plato. Your terminal gravity was 1.018, their projected high FG was 1.012. a difference of SG 0.006 or, 1.5 degrees plato. From your OG, to your FG, in comparison to their projections, you are only off by SG0.002 or 0.5 Plato.. that is an inconsequential amount. Most likely an small difference in volume or yeast activity. I wouldn't be the least bit concerned. Your beer will be just fine. RDWHAHB

I'll give the yeast a rouse and and warm them up a couple deg and see what happens. Hopefully it will come down a few more points.

The same yeast strain took the Bourbon barrel from 1.070 to 1.022 (and that might have a few points left in it), so I figure this should be able to get this down below where it is now, right? Or am I misunderstanding how this works?

& yea, Ohio winters can be cold, but not this one. Its crazy how warm its been. No skiing, but the motorcycles are getting a lot more attention than usual.

Their projected gravity was up to SG 1.046 and you got SG 1.050... difference of SG 0.004 or 1 degree Plato. Your terminal gravity was 1.018, their projected high FG was 1.012. a difference of SG 0.006 or, 1.5 degrees plato. From your OG, to your FG, in comparison to their projections, you are only off by SG0.002 or 0.5 Plato.. that is an inconsequential amount. Most likely an small difference in volume or yeast activity. I wouldn't be the least bit concerned. Your beer will be just fine. RDWHAHB

I like it. I'll give it a stir, a couple days, and then if no change, bottles & no worries. & a home brew.

I like it. I'll give it a stir, a couple days, and then if no change, bottles & no worries. & a home brew.

No, don't stir! If you feel that you must (and I wouldn't), you can pick up the fermenter and gently swirl it and put it back down. But absolutely NO stirring!

I think the beer is simply done. It could be because of attenuation of that yeast, ingredients in the kit like less fermentable extract, or really no reason at all. But 1.018 is perfectly fine for a stout.

What is wrong with giving it a stir? (hope its not terrible I did before I saw your post) I was very gentle, did not aerate, had a highly (I'm paranoid) sanitized spoon....

No, don't stir! If you feel that you must (and I wouldn't), you can pick up the fermenter and gently swirl it and put it back down. But absolutely NO stirring!

I think the beer is simply done. It could be because of attenuation of that yeast, ingredients in the kit like less fermentable extract, or really no reason at all. But 1.018 is perfectly fine for a stout.

I read through the post ready to answer... and there you were with the answer already..;)

Back