Carboy Horror Story

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jturie

Reaction score
20 years ago, during my first homebrewing stint, my brother-in-law showed up at my house with two 6.5 gallon glass carboys. "Hey, are you interested in these?" I obviously grabbed them.

A week or so later, I was considering going all-glass, so I called him up and asked him where he got them. "Oh, I went to my buddy's grandmother's farm to help him start moving her out, and we found this underground bomb shelter from the 50's out in the fields. There were at least 100 of them down there." Immediately I had visions of profit in my head!!!! I would call my local brew shop and sell them and be rich, rich, RICH!!!! So...I casually ask him if his buddy needed my help hauling them away, free of charge (great guy, ain't I?). He said "Naw, we dragged them out, lined them up, and used them for target practice."

Several homebrews later, I phoned my guy at the homebrew shop and asked him what he would have paid for the carboys. After doing the math, I cracked another brew.

I'm sorry, but your brother-in-law and his buddy were idiots on this one. I just cleaned out an old box full of MS-DOS computer manuals and made sure they weren't worth anything before I threw them away. If I saw a hundred glass jugs of any kind I would immediately think, "I wonder how much these are worth?"

Haha, but I bet that was one of the worst homebrews you've ever drank after talking to the brew shop. :D

I just cleaned out an old box full of MS-DOS computer manuals and made sure they weren't worth anything before I threw them away. :D

version 5 or 6.22?

Not to mention 100 carboy's worth of glass in a field, lovely place for young children to play lol.

burglar and gopher reppelant?

funny, when I told my office-mate at work the next day, he forever after appended "the idiot" whenever he mentioned my brother-in-law. As in, "how's your brother in law the idiot?"

Back