Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used nottingham and got no krausen what-so-ever. Just the tiny bubbles on the sides, which would build up a little but only on the edge of the glass and not even across the entire surface. I did fill my carboy up almost entirely and never had an issue.

Unless you use unfiltered apple juice from a local orchard (like i did the first time). that stuff builds a krausen just like a stout beer;)

OK! After reading through 2562 posts I have to say I need to do this. I will be hitting up the LHBS for all the stuff I need tomorrow! I told the SWMBO about it and she seems to like the idea as well.

Thanks to all who have posted their results and all. However the most thanks goes to Ed, thanks man you truly are a gift to this little obsession of ours!

shafferpilot said:
Unless you use unfiltered apple juice from a local orchard (like i did the first time). that stuff builds a krausen just like a stout beer;)

Did the apfelwein clear up at all? Or did it stay really cloudy?

My favorite apfelwein variant uses fresh apple cider, and it clears up real nice after about a month in the carboy.

You lose a little bit of overall volume because of the larger amount of sediment though.

Mmmmm, all this talk of apfelwein is making me a little thirsty... I may just have an apfelwein right now!

I have a 3 gallon batch of this going according to Ed Wort's recipe (with tree top juice) but thought about using some of the unfiltered organic apple juice too. after drinking both of the juices the unfiltered seems to taste a lot sweeter.

I was thinking about just getting a 1 gallon jug of the unfiltered and putting an airlock right on the bottle and fermenting a small batch right in the jug. I guess my question is, can i some how use some of the yeast from the 3 gallon batch for this? pitching a full packet for 1 gallon just seems a bit much. my 3 gallon batch is only about 3 days old and actively fermenting, so could i just take a small sample from the 3 gallon batch with a turkey baster and add it to the 1 gallon? would there be enough yeast in suspension to start work on the 1 gallon batch?

Thanks for the help! I have learned a ton just reading through this forum! :fro:

Ok my second batch has gotten funky. I used Montratchet and set it up on 11/22/07 and I just let it go. Then I just went to look at it and it has an off smell like bread or something. Not in a good way. And the yeast on the bottom looks like its up to the 1 gallon mark not the usually 1-2 inches that you would expect of flocculated yeast. Now I haven't touched it but I imagine its not something that will go away ie its infected. Its also been pretty cool here cooler than usually. I know I was pretty good about sanitizing the bucket.

Also just wondering why is it we don't have to boil the sugar.

Fish said:
Ok my second batch has gotten funky. I used Montratchet and set it up on 11/22/07 and I just let it go. Then I just went to look at it and it has an off smell like bread or something. Not in a good way. And the yeast on the bottom looks like its up to the 1 gallon mark not the usually 1-2 inches that you would expect of flocculated yeast. Now I haven't touched it but I imagine its not something that will go away ie its infected.

Very strange. I only get maybe a 1/4" of yeast on the bottom of my carboys.

EdWort said:
Very strange. I only get maybe a 1/4" of yeast on the bottom of my carboys.

I get the same, or less. Next batch, I may pitch on top of the previous cake, to see if I can't get fermentation to finish up a little sooner.

The batch I just started Monday I pitched onto the yeast cake. Being a 15 gallon batch, I also pitched one packet of fresh Montrachet 'just to be safe'. It was going strong within 12 hours.

finally made some apfelwein! i was at trader joes when i decided to get the juice. This was the only stuff in stock that didn't have additives:

juice.jpg

pretty expensive. really tasty stuff, though...unfiltered from fresh apples. hopefully it'll make for some good yeast food!

damn, this was the shortest brew session i've ever had! 30 minutes WITH CLEANUP! Wow! :D

here's the apfelwein sitting with his new friends:

friends.jpg

Can't wait to see how it turns out. i'm just gonna let it sit in the back of the closet for 6-8 weeks or so (i'll pretend i'm waiting for sea monkeys or something to come via media mail.) my closet has stayed at almost a constant 68F...don't know if that's too low, but not really concerned.

Edwort, here's a dancing banana for ya (they were all out of apples)

:ban:

mine sat at about 66-68 the whole ferm(my basement). It ended up taking about 6 weeks, though. just bottled it last weekend - had a 1/2 pint or so. Tasted great and gave me instabuzz. powerful stuff, yo.

killer, i plan to just forget about this one for a couple of months...i've got tons of beer going right now anyway and more to make this weekend

I haven't been using my secondaries much, so i figured "what the hell, it's time for apfelwein!"

:mug:

Well just got my first 5 gallon into the fermenter, man that smells good. :ban:

Even though the SWMBO helped I still dont think she is too happy having 10 gallons of fermenting liquid on her kitchen counter though!

I told her it would be worth it. Time will tell. Thanks again EdWort!!!

DeathBrewer said:
unfiltered from fresh apples. hopefully it'll make for some good yeast food!

Dude, WATCH OUT!!! i used unfiltered apple juice for my first round of AW and that stuff WILL clog an airlock and blow the lid off. You'll watch it for a week and think that it's going slow enough and the foam seems to be breaking up as fast as it's building. Then after the next week, you'll see the dreaded gunk in the airlock and not thinking, you'll just reach out and pull the cap off to clean it, and BOOM!!..... just keep an eye on it;)

shaffer

I used
2 gallons unfiltered apple juice
1 reg applejuice
2 gallons bluberry juice.
2lbs corn sugar

I barely got any foam- I also pitched 2 packets of Safael US05- It was still fermenting 4 weeks later @ 72 degrees.

I ended up kegging it the day I left. 4 months to condition in the keg @ 45 degrees. I might buy a filter and transfer to a second keg when I get home.

I was brewing a lot that week, and right after the minor explosion I thought that I had mixed up my carboys. But the foam on my face was clearly apple in nature. Strange how seemingly similar "brews" can behave so differently:confused:

I started a batch of apfelwein with 4 gallons of Tree Top, 2lbs dextrose, and Lavin 0118 yeast. I let if ferment for 5 weeks, I had lots of krausen the first week then just bubbling all around sides. Then I bottled 90% of it with 4oz dextrose. Now a week and half later it has not fully carbed and has a strange aftertaste, not really bitter or sour more of a tang. Why do I have this tang? Will this get better overtime? Why does this take so long to carbonate?

4 weeks and I'm sitting at 1.006. Didn't take an OG so who knows where i started. I either have to brew something else up quick, or my keezer is gonna have an unplanned vacation.

KB - Mine took a solid six weeks and finished just under 1.000 as Ed described. However, my basement is on the cool side - 63-65 or so. Maybe you're in the same temp range?

I'm sitting at about 70º or so, may be dipping down to 68º. I've totally planned to let this sit AT LEAST another 2 weeks if not more. I'm just drinking too much (is that possible) and my PB Stout is just about done, Carmel Cream may last another 2 weeks, and the AG Pale is getting dumped. The apfelwein is the only thing I gots going right now. :drunk:

chione said:
I started a batch of apfelwein with 4 gallons of Tree Top, 2lbs dextrose, and Lavin 0118 yeast. I let if ferment for 5 weeks, I had lots of krausen the first week then just bubbling all around sides. Then I bottled 90% of it with 4oz dextrose. Now a week and half later it has not fully carbed and has a strange aftertaste, not really bitter or sour more of a tang. Why do I have this tang? Will this get better overtime? Why does this take so long to carbonate?

a week and a half is a short time for beer, and a REALLY short time for apfelwine. Stick it in a warm place and forget about it for 3 or 4 weeks, I'm betting the strange taste will be gone and it'll be nice and fizzy.

Just stumbled across this post and would like to make a batch myself. Could anyone point me to a recipe for a 3 gal batch using DME ? or is DME not recommended ? Much appreciated!

My first batch just hit the 4 week mark, so I decided to take a hydrometer reading. I got 1.002 at 68 degrees. It's still bubbling slightly in the bottle (small bubbles rising from the yeast on the bottom,) and although it looks dark from a distance, if I shine a flashlight through it, I can see that it's still a bit cloudy. I'm assuming that it needs another week or two to finish? Should it be perfectly clear with no bubbling in the carboy/better bottle? Or do you just wait until the hydrometer shows under 1.00, and bottle?

The sample tasted just as I expected- dry, tart, and much like a white wine. I couldn't detect much of an apple flavor, if at all. It did have an apple aroma though. I let my wife taste it, and although I described it to her when I was making it, she still said it wasn't as sweet as she expected. I think she was hoping more for a Woodchuck styled cider. I'm looking at two options here- one, backsweetening with some splenda at bottling, or two, bottling it as is, and then mixing it in the glass with a little apple juice before drinking. I think choice two is going to create more of the flavor she was wanting- slightly sweet and apply. Either way, I'll try both methods when I get ready to bottle, and see which one tastes better.

I think I'm going to try an ale yeast (I'm thinking hefe yeast) on the next batch, to see if I can produce a somewhat fruitier, sweeter beverage. The Montrachet made a hell of an apple wine though!

Oh yeah, and I could already tell from the sample that going for the "3 glass rule" is probably going to result in :drunk: ...heh.

I made a batch on friday (1/18) followed directions very carefully, even used the same Red Star Montrachet yeast. It is sitting @ 66-68 degrees, it's been about 30 hours and no airlock activity, any suggestions???

well ed i made my first batch today this is only the second brew i have made. i followed your recipie but by half because i only have a Mr. Beer for right now i can't wait to get my tax return. i will keep you up to date on how it turns out. looking foward to this.

2.5 gal motts apple juice
1 lbs corn sugar
1 packet montrachet yeast

I just kegged my second batch of Apfelwein. I didn't follow the exact recipe this time and wound up with a really interesting result. I opted out of adding the dextros, and instituted 1 pound of clover honey. I also added 1/2 oz of licorice root and 1/2 oz star anise. I pitched two packets of dry champaign yeast for a little highter abv. I racked to a secondary after 2 weeks (to remove the licorice root & anise) then let it condition for 3 months in the secondary. The result is a crisp tart taste with a mellow warm licorice finish. FG .996

I'd like to bottle a few and send em to ED for critique... Ed PM me if you want em.

you know after reading this thread i am begining to think ed owns an apple farm somewhere and created this brew to sell more apples to the juice makers.

wildwest450 said:
I made a batch on friday (1/18) followed directions very carefully, even used the same Red Star Montrachet yeast. It is sitting @ 66-68 degrees, it's been about 30 hours and no airlock activity, any suggestions???

Apfelwine ferments very slowly for a very long time. Don't worry, it'll be fine. Just cover up that fermenter and forget about it for at least one month.... Seriously, don't even look at it for a whole month. Then take a reading and decide how much more time it needs. That's just the way this stuff works.

well it has been 29 hours since i pitched my yeast my house is sitting at 75F the yeast are doing their thing, already smelling the eliphant farts (swmbo likes them better than my own). time to sit back and relax. unfortunally i cannot have a home brew my first brew is still priming for another week.

sflcowboy78 said:
well it has been 29 hours since i pitched my yeast my house is sitting at 75F the yeast are doing their thing, already smelling the eliphant farts (swmbo likes them better than my own). time to sit back and relax. unfortunally i cannot have a home brew my first brew is still priming for another week.

yeast nutrient does wonders for reducing the unpleasant smell:)

shafferpilot said:
yeast nutrient does wonders for reducing the unpleasant smell:)

a little over 48 hours latter and the elephant farts are gone next batch i might try some yeast nutrient but it was never really that unpleasent

Back