Keezer Collar Lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OatStraw

Reaction score
Hey guys! From all the posts in here about keezers (and me sending my wife links to them all day) I've decided to take a stab at this. I've decided to do the full cabinet style because the wife doesn't want to see the freezer, but would like to have it in the dining room (which is kind of cool!)

First question that comes to mind is how to attach the lid to the collar. I've seen multiple styles where the stock lid and the collar are attached together and act as the lid. I've also seen where the collar is attached to the lower freezer unit and the lid is separately hinged on top of that. It seems to me to be better having it the 2nd way so you do not have to lift the entire weight of the collar, lid, hoses, and faucets.

Is one way better than the other, or is it just preference?

I dont have a keezer...yet...but after the research ive done, the only real difference i saw was that by having the collar raise with the lid, you dont have to lift your kegs/fermenters as high.

I attached my collar to the lid. I like it because it pulls all the hoses out of the way as you lift the lid.

I hinged both the lid and the collar. I just screwed the existing hinges to the collar and used regular old door hinges for the lid. Did the same for my fermentation chest freezer. Either way both could be easily put back to a freezer, but why the hell would I ever want to do that!

Either way both could be easily put back to a freezer, but why the hell would I ever want to do that!

Good Point! Were there any measurements involved with putting the hinges on, like height? Or is it fairly straight forward. I haven't purchased the freezer yet, but looks like 7.2 Cu Ft is standard size for this, and I only want to put 4 Kegs in put 4 kegs in it.

I prefer to attach the collar to the freezer and leave the original seal intact. Lifting the kegs in and out is no real trouble. My collar is made from 2 x 6 pine. I built a light weight wood top for the lid that I use for extra work space in my small kitchen. I did not want to load the collar with a bunch of extra weight.

Back