Fermenting mash WITHOUT removing grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisedjohn

Reaction score
Theoretically, what would result from someone taking milled grain, dumping in a sanitized bucket with strike water, let it convert for a few hours until cooled to 70F, then just pitch some yeast with all the grain bits and all?

Assuming someone got lucky and didn't get infection from anthing in the grain that didn't get boiled clean, what flavors could someone expect to get from such an experiment? I'm guessing something like that process was how beer first got discovered.

Anyone ever done something crazy like that?

There is 100% certainty it would be infected with Lactobacillus since it is crawling all over every grain.

Drain those runnings, and it's basically the MO behind Berliner Weiss.

There is enough lactobacillus on the grain that the mash would sour. I don't think the yeast would be able to survive.

Have you ever let or mash tun sit too long after you made the beer. The small amount of sugar left is more than enough for the lacto and whatever else is in there to make one of the funkiest smelling things on earth. 100% chance of infection.

Have you ever let or mash tun sit too long after you made the beer. The small amount of sugar left is more than enough for the lacto and whatever else is in there to make one of the funkiest smelling things on earth. 100% chance of infection.

I did that once... smelled like vomit.

Oddly enough I did this once, turned out horrible. (I'd only been brewing for about 3 months and didn't know any better...)

This is going to turn into a moonshine thread....
Wait no I didn't say that :)

Seriously though, unless you're making a sour mash whiskey beer, this probably won't work out.

Back