Half Acre Gossamer Golden

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brtisbuck

Reaction score
I'm looking for some info on a possible extract version of Gossamer Golden Ale by Half Acre. If anyone has come across this or tried brewing it some help would be appreciated. Thanks

Half Acre is incredibly hush about their ingredients and recipes, even during the tours. Subscribing in case someone know something I don't.

That being said, I'm taking another tour in early February and will let you know if I figure something out.

:)

Half Acre is incredibly hush about their ingredients and recipes, even during the tours. Subscribing in case someone know something I don't.

That being said, I'm taking another tour in early February and will let you know if I figure something out.

:)

I'd be happy to come across something in the same ballpark. I'm looking for the mellow blonde ale thats not overly hoppy and the clean finish for the wifey. The standard SNPA just has too much bite for her. I've been bringing home different commercial ales for her to try to find a style or attribute she likes enough to drink semi regularly. This one has the right characteristics. If anyone has any ideas throw 'em at me. Thanks

Well I know from the website that Gossamer is 4.2% ABV. So in a 5 gallon batch, you'd have about 3.3 lbs of light LME and 2 lb of pale DME to bring your gravity to 1.042 (with 75% attenuation that's a 4.1% ABV beer)

Someone else who's had Gossamer recently and with a little more experience can probably get you closer from there. You can also check out the recipe database:

Light Hybrid Beer

Particularly:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/cream-three-crops-cream-ale-66503/

This is one of the simplest, best tasting recipes on the site.

However, if it was me (I'm not an experienced brewer by any means.) I would maybe steep a pound of biscuit malt for that graininess Gossamer has and add a little bit of color

For hops,
I haven't had Gossamer in a while, but I remember it is really citrusy and grapefruity, and fairly bitter. I also know a lot of Chicago breweries use Centennial and Amarillo hops for their pale ales. If you're looking for something without a lot of bitterness, you can always take 4 oz of hops and boil them for 15 minutes instead of 1 oz at 60. That will give a super hop flavor without much perceived bitterness.

That may be a good start even though it's a bit vague.

Instead of using 2 row you can use LME, instead of flaked corn, you can use corn sugar, and instead of rice, you can use rice syrup solids.

Converting it down from 11.5 gallons to 5, and converting the sugar extracted from the grains to extract, I get:

5.67 lbs Extra Pale LME
1.4 lbs Corn Sugar
.435 lbs Rice Syrup Solids

then you'd do:

.5 oz willamette for 60 minutes
.5 oz crystal for 60 minutes.

You can also make it a little sweeter by subsituting pilsner LME for the extra pale. That may help mask any off flavors a little more. Ferment at 68.

Importance on this is getting a consistent 68 fermentation temp to keep it clean.

Good luck.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but did anyone ever get something close to the Gossamer Golden? I'd love to hear if they did.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back