Big pots, heating elements

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I boil 7-8 gallons (10-gallon aluminum pot) on an (old-fashioned, coil type) electric stove. I got a "canning element" - drop-in replacement for the normal "big" element, sits up a bit higher (seems to be same wattage - 2600), supposedly better for the stove than having an oversized pot down close to the top of the stove.

I also have a 20-qt stainless, probably similar to yours, no problem boiling in that.

I usually put fresh tinfoil over the reflector pan (form-fit to it, by hand). Makes it nice and shiny, should help the boil, in theory.

If you have one of those new-fangled ceramic-top things, I have no idea. I gather that they are not an improvement when it comes to cooking.

Nope, I've got an old coil-type that came with the apartment. That's great to hear, I was worried for a sec that I'd have to buy a propane burner. Do you think I might scorch the (white) top of the stove without that drop-in? How would covering the reflector pan in foil help the boil other than clean-up? (I'm assuming by reflector pan you mean the bowl-shaped removable piece that goes directly under the coil.)

...by reflecting heat back towards the pot - which is why that bowl-shaped removable piece is called a reflector pan. If it's scungy and dark, it does not reflect.

You can also put foil over the whole top of the stove that's going to be under the pot - that pretty much just helps with cleanup.

Back