Size of container for hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurker18

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am planning next year already. I have hops that will be in there 4th year next spring, and there are a few that need a trim back badly, so I am going to dig up and prune. What I would like to do is replant in plastic buckets to keep the spread to a minimum, as I have a few that are sending runners out pretty far, and I think they may be growing into each other. The buckets will still be buried in the ground, probably not even have bottoms on them as I don't think they will go down too far.
Would a 5 gallon homer bucket be big enough, or should I look for something that gives them a little more space?

The bigger the better, but I'm sure you could pull it off in a 5 gallon bucket. At least for a little while. The main thing is that you'll want a potting mix of the appropriate material and size to endure long term growth and promote superior drainage. A simple compact soil mixture will yield results, but poor results compared to a potting mix that is meant for long term container growth. I like using pine bark mulch fines, pebbles, and perlite. I personally avoid using soil, dirt, sand, manure, etc. in containers.

I have a few 1st year crowns in those big 14 gallon party "keg" tubs... they are only 5 or 6 bucks a piece. That don't look great but they hold a lot of dirt! They are out pacing the other crowns I planted by the my trellis.

I have a few 1st year crowns in those big 14 gallon party "keg" tubs... they are only 5 or 6 bucks a piece. That don't look great but they hold a lot of dirt! They are out pacing the other crowns I planted by the my trellis.

how much soil did you use in the party tub i have 5 on the side of my house and i am picking up my rhizomes tomorrow!!!! any pictures with trellis??? thanks :D:D

The buckets will still be buried in the ground, probably not even have bottoms on them as I don't think they will go down too far.
Would a 5 gallon homer bucket be big enough, or should I look for something that gives them a little more space?

If you just trim the rhizomes off and leave the crown in tact, you may need a bigger container. Sometimes the crown will be as big as the circumference of the bucket but you won't know until you dig. If they are that big, you can just take a saw and cut them right down the middle or actually quarter them. They get pretty woody and are really hard to split cleanly with a spade.

. . . and just to be safe, make sure you have supply of ale handy and a spud bar as they can get pretty big if they're growing in decent soil. Hoppy Trails~

Back