Belgian White Tastes Very Sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanS86

Reaction score
Hello,
I bottled a belgian white about a week ago and wanted to see how long the carbonation had come along so I chilled and drank one. The carbonation isn't bad, but there is a very distinct sour lemon taste up front and then a sour aftertaste, pretty much overshadowing most of the other flavors. I didn't notice it while transferring the beer into the bottling bucket, but did notice it once I added the priming sugar when I took a sip of one that was filled too high. I'm not sure if it may be the priming sugar left in the bottle or if there is an infection or bacteria causing the flavor. It's only been a week and with the sour taste I'm going to let it mellow out for an extra month, but I was hoping to get a vague idea of what may be causing this. I sterilized everything that came in contact with the beer with iodophor, so I don't think I was negligent, but who knows. Any ideas?

Back