Opa Opa brewery, South hampton MA.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c.n.budz

Reaction score
So, my local bar had a tasting with the reps from Opa Opa Brewery out of South Hampton, Mass. Overall the beer was very good. They had an IPA and an American Amber and I've had their Milk Stout before at the Connecticut Real Ale Festival. While the IPA wasn't anything ground breaking it was still well balanced and very drinkable. The same stands for the American Amber, nothing amazing but still a nice example of the style, and the milk stout was delicious.

Here's what my problem is. I was drinking the IPA with the brewery rep and started talking about ingredients. I asked if the base malt was 2 row and if the were using Cascade and Columbus for hops. The rep tells me that he knows that they use Cascade but he's not sure about the rest so he'll find out. He ends up calling someone he works with and I was right.

If your job is to sell a product, shouldn't you know the basic ingredients in that product?? It just kinda bugged me that I could pick apart and discuss his beer better that he could. Maybe I'm finally becoming an EAC.....:confused:

They just opened up a new brewing facility in Williamsburg (?) I would be interested in trying out their beers sometime. Thanks for the input. As far as the sales guy, well I agree he should know his $hit. He did make a call and get your answer though. You gotta give him credit for that.

Now as far as the EAC thing goes, unfortunately not everyone is as passionate about beer as we are. Sounds like they need to educate their sales team a bit more in order to entertain these technical questions.

Yeah, I liked that he put in the effort to find out for me but a sales rep should know product basics like that. If a customer came to me asking about a certain type of mortgage that my company offers and I said "well I'm not sure how that program works" I lose that customer....

:off: I was talking about beer with another person at the bar lastnight. The guy plays for a travelling rugby team and he brought up McNeil's. He said it's some of the best beer he's had and whenever his team is in the area he always stops in there for a few.

Ray's been is PHE-NOMENAL. The Opa-Opa Amber is good; Ray's Ruby Ale is exceptional. Hell, all of Ray's beers are world-class.

FWIW, I can't imagine the sales rep gets too many technical questions like you asked; he's not selling to homebrewers. Now, if he couldn't describe the flavor and aroma, that's one thing, knowing how the brewers get it is another. Props to him for following up with you on the info you were seeking.

c.n.budz said:
:off:The guy plays for a travelling rugby team and he brought up McNeil's. He said it's some of the best beer he's had and whenever his team is in the area he always stops in there for a few.
I absolutely agree.:mug:

Back