No carbonation in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doongie

Reaction score
Alright, this has me confused.

Got 6 gallons from the orchard, NO additives, unpasteurized. Added pectic enzyme, divided into 2 batches of 3 gal each. OG was about 1.060. Fermented out to just below 1.0. Let set in the carboy for a couple weeks to clarify, got impatient and bottled. Added 3 oz priming sugar to eachbatch and bottled. 4 weeks later opened a bottle, ZERO carbonation.
Temp for fermentation and conditioning was 68f.
Any ideas???

Revvy said:
Cider's extremely high gravity. It usually takes months to carb. Make sure if you can, that it's above 70 and check back in another month or more.

I considered that, but I am suprised that it is completely flat after this amount of time. I calculate they are between 9 and 10% abv, one using montrachet and the other US-05. I haven't tried one of the -05's, and of the two that is the one I would expect to have trouble first.

People always say they're "surprised that it is completely flat" all the time when it's too early....then when it is the correct time the beers are carbed. We hear that all the time. It means nothing.

Carbonation is FOOLPROOF, if you add sugar, the yeast will do their thing.....in the EXACT amount of time it's meant to, and not a moment sooner.

Thank you for spelling carbonation correctly (i.e., not carbination).

TyTanium said:
Thank you for spelling carbonation correctly (i.e., not carbination).

Poor spelling is a pet peeve of mine too. Maybe if I spell it wrong it'll go faster. :)

Back