Wanting to try wild yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LILJONNYWV

Reaction score
I am wanting to give wild yeast a shot but really don't know where to start or what to use... It seems that every thing I read says something a little different and not sure what to go with, so I would appreciate any help.

For my first sour I tried a berliner weiss with pitching a lacto starter with am. Ale yeast. It didn't work so well although I haven't given up on it souring as I haven't had it since the three or four month mark.

For the second one all I did was make a basic pale beer grain bill with ~10 ibus of german hops at 60 min and directly pitched roselare from wyeast (don't recall the number off the top of my head. I tried it the other day (~4 months) and it's delicious and everything I hoped it would be.

The reason is there are a lot of ways to make great sour beers. A Berliner or a Brett'd saison are relatively quick places to start, but you can jump right into any recipe that looks like it fits your constraints/tastes. I tend to like pitching all of my bugs up front with a healthy pitch of brewer's yeast, works for me.

Back