Got a cloves taste in my ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mparmer

Reaction score
I brewed a Midwest Autumn Ale kit, All went pretty good till I got stuck at 1.02 for several days. I pitched Muntons dry. I pitched a pack of coopers after about 10 days and fermentation started back up and I got it down to about 1.012 and bottled on day 17. Now, 2.5 weeks after bottling, (room temp 65-70) I've cooled a 12 pk and have a fairly strong clove's like taste. really kind of nasty. One other thing, early in the fermentation, the room temp went too warm (high 70's so the temp inside the fermenter probably went into low 80's for a couple days before I got it under control) I cleaned and sanitized everything pretty good so I don't think it would be an infection but i'm not sure. 2 funny things. 1. I tasted the beer when I took the FG reading and didn't notice this off flavor. 2. After a poured beer sit's a while, a lot (but not all) of the off flavor goes away. Any idea's? Thanks!!!

Probably from the room getting too warm during fermentation. The good news is it should get better with time.

Yes, those phenols usually are from a too-warm fermentation temperature. Some yeast strains do ok at a higher temperature, but I don't know of any that would taste good at low-mid 80s. Some yeast strains like Nottingham are vile tasting if fermented above about 70-72 degrees. (NOT ambient temperature, I'm talking about the actual temperature of the beer during fermentation).

In my experience, the flavor might mellow a bit but not much. Usually phenols only get a little better.

The other place those flavors can come from is if you used water with chlorine or chloramines in brewing.

Back