1st brew ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1sttimebrewer

Reaction score
Hey all,
Quick ?...doin my 1st batch and it's a week into fermentation. Had a lot of good activity ie bubbles the 1st 24 hrs and I'm hopin the yeast did its job. Doin a pale ale by the way. So I took readings on my test jar in the beginning and got a OG of 1.045....just did another reading and my SG is reading 1.010 which makes it like 2% alcohol...which is not adding up. Either I messed somethin up w my original reading or somethin special needs to happen in the next week before I bottle...any thoughts as to why the SG so much lower. Thx for the input.

More like about 4.5%.

( OG- FG) X 131= ABV

You are doing fine. Just let it sit for another week or two and then bottle it up.

what was the temp of the original sample you took. If it wasn't 60 degrees, you would need to adjust it according to the scale on the hydrometer.

Got it...thx the temp was 68F and I was totally looking at the hydrometer %. the equation makes sense! thx for puttin my mind at ease

Back