just wondering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slim83

Reaction score
I started my brew 5 days ago and following the directions in the kit I pitched more yeast and added a half a cup sugar on the fifth day. I was wondering if I should have just left it alone and is this going to have any adverse affects like off flavors or am i going to be fine

I started my brew 5 days ago and following the directions in the kit I pitched more yeast and added a half a cup sugar on the fifth day. I was wondering if I should have just left it alone and is this going to have any adverse affects like off flavors or am i going to be fine

you will probadly be o.k. but next time "LEAVE IT ALONE":mug:

will this extend my fermentation time and will it affect my abv

I doubt it's not enough sugar to even move the reading on your hydrometer nor will a few ounces of sugar change your time in the fermenter enough to matter. You will be fine.

thank you for all of the input I am still very green and will probably have a lot of dumb questions that need to be answered

Welcome, slim83.
keep asking, keep searching, keep reading.

your directions sound lousy. But most directions are. We generally don't pitch yeast twice, nor add anything for the yeast to eat after they've gotten started (except perhaps some fruit or other addition).

Now, just leave it for a month, and plan your next batch.

Sounds like bad instructions or a misunderstanding. I'm guessing the extra yeast and sugar was meant for priming to be added immediately before bottling.

Sounds like bad instructions or a misunderstanding. I'm guessing the extra yeast and sugar was meant for priming to be added immediately before bottling.

My thoughts precisely. Half a cup of sugar is typical for priming, and some brewers recommend repitching a li'l bit o' yeast at that time as well.

Latest posts

Back