Foam out ouf the corny post?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

castillo83

Reaction score
Hi,

I am having trouble with one of my cornys. When I connect the beer line, there's crazy amounts of foam coming out of the post. There is no leakage without the beer line. I wanted to hear if others have experience this, or hear possible solutions. Would it just be a matter of cleaning the post or tightening it?

Hi,

I am having trouble with one of my cornys. When I connect the beer line, there's crazy amounts of foam coming out of the post. There is no leakage without the beer line. I wanted to hear if others have experience this, or hear possible solutions. Would it just be a matter of cleaning the post or tightening it?

It could be that the poppit inside isn't seated right. I'd depressurize, and remove that post. Clean it out and inspect the o-ring on the poppit. Maybe it's torn, or maybe something is stuck in there. Lube the o-ring and put it back together, if it looks ok.

Do you normally take the posts off and clean them when you finish a keg? If not, it could be some hops debris or other crud in there.

If it's not leaking without the beer line connected, it's probably not loose. It could need a new o-ring or it may be the disconnect. You could try some keg lube on the o-ring.

It could be that the poppit inside isn't seated right. I'd depressurize, and remove that post. Clean it out and inspect the o-ring on the poppit. Maybe it's torn, or maybe something is stuck in there. Lube the o-ring and put it back together, if it looks ok.

Do you normally take the posts off and clean them when you finish a keg? If not, it could be some hops debris or other crud in there.

If it's not leaking when it's not connected, the poppet is probably ok. Once you connect the disconnect, the poppet is out of the equation, right? The disconnect pushes the poppet down to create the opening.

If it's not leaking when it's not connected, the poppet is probably ok. Once you connect the disconnect, the poppet is out of the equation, right? The disconnect pushes the poppet down to create the opening.

But it's not "out of the equation" at all. If it's got some debris in it, it will leak instead of allowing the beer to go up into the line as it can plug the QD a bit when the pin is pressed in.

I don't think its debris, I didn't dry hop it. This is a 1 yo. old beer or so, I had no problem serving it before, and I can use the same beer line/disconnect in other kegs without problem.

The only extra particulate I can think of is yeast settling out, but I would assume yeast would have no problem going through the beer line, since I didn't do primary in the keg.

castillo83 said:
Hi,

Most likely culprit is a bad Out dip tube o-ring, allowing CO2 in the head space to sneak directly into the beer flow...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back