Why is my comp being weird about certain sites?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alamo_Beer

Reaction score
On Monday SWMBO and I bought a new comp. We didn't get it hooked up to the net until yesterday bc we've been busy. This is our first comp with VISTA on it and it's kinda drivin me nuts....

Anyway, I'm doing a project on Paccar for my capstone class. Guess which site it will NOT go to? www.paccar.com Maybe the comp doesn't like big trucks....idunno. I'm doing another project on Flint Hills Resources.....yeah you guessed it www.fhr.com =NO!

So wtf's the deal? Am I doing something wrong? Does my new comp hate me? It goes to any other sites (I haven't encountered any other sites besides those that don't work...) but not those two.

I need to read the Paccar Annual Report, I emailed it to myself from work and it won't link to that either.

Wtf guys?

THANKS!!

vista shouldnt block any websites--if its a program run it as admid or save it first then
download it

ftr--i got vista and just visited them sites-u must have them blocked somehow with firewall

or a weird happening with your isp or dns? I doubt it's the computer itself. Try a different computer to rule out the internet as a whole, or if that's not possible, a linux livecd can point to the OS/software as a problem if a livecd fixes it.

process of elimination.

Try re-installing Flash and get the latest Java JRE from Sun. That fixed a lot of web issues with my Vista installation. Also, Firefox is far superior to Internet Explorer, even in Vista.

It is completely possible that you are only pointing at one DNS at the ISP and might not have all the routing information you need.

In short, reboot the router and the PC and see if that works. If it does not, then open up the routers admin page and see if it is set to pass through the DNS information or to act as a DNS proxy. It will generally be set to proxy by default for ease of configuration but it is possible that it might be set as pass-through and Vista might not be picking up both all the relevant DNS machines.

Latest posts

Back