Shouldn't I See Things Floating in My Bottle-Conditioned Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thehopguy

Reaction score
My beer has been bottle conditioning for over 2 weeks now in the mid 70's. I've bought bottle-conditioned beers from the store and you can always see the yeast at the bottom of the bottle. My beer looks too clear!:confused: Nothing floating around. Im trying to RDWHAHB but this is my first brew so I have no experience with this. Is this abnormal?

Stick one in the fridge, and try it tomorrow. If this was a 5 gallon batch, you owe yourself a test sample at this stage. It's probably "green", and probably under-carbed, but I always try one early, it help[s me sort out the rest of the timetable.

Cheers!

Mine usually doesn't have floaties in the bottle. Most of it falls to the bottom, but due to me getting excited when I am pouring in get some floaties in my glass. Just open one and check the carbonation level and as long as it's carbonated then you made and bright beer, awesome haha

I rarely see floaters in my bottles but the times I have I attribute it to bottle krausen that all settles in a few weeks.

Sounds to me like you did a good job of racking/bottling. Your own clear beer is a great sight to behold @ serving time.

It's definately normal for the beer to be crystal clear, however I think what you're really asking for is; if you should be able to see yeast collected at the bottom of the beer.

It would be surprising to me, that you wouldn't see yeast, but it could be a fine dusting on the bottle, rather than collected at the bottom. Wait out the three weeks and then test. It's not impossible to have racked out all the yeast, though it would be improbable unless you did several cold crash rackings or a filtering.

Yeah,I've gotten those batches with a very light dusting at the bottom of the bottle after 3weeks,then 5-6 days in the fridge.

Thank you for the responses. I guess my concern was that a lack of floaters at the bottom indicated my beer wasn't carbing up properly. I stuck one ( just one ) in the fridge yesterday. bottle conditioned for 15 days, i know its a bit ahead of the three week mark but im gonna let this one sit in the fridge for a few days then check where i'm at in the process. Im excited, it will be my first pint of homebrew :D

I get very little sediment in my bottles. It doesn't really mean anything. Every yeast and the protein content in beer is going to be different, not to mention whether or not you secondary or long primary, or even filter is all going to mean a variation in the level of bottle sediment you are going to get. It's not an indicator or problems with carbing.

Back