anybody going to brew a traditional Marzen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceedubya

Reaction score
I was thinking about making a traditional Marzen, as in brew in March to drink for Octoberfest. Have any of you done this?

I have made a few partial mash versions of this style of beer before for Octoberfest, but usually around the 1st part of august and lager for a few weeks to drink the end of September and into October.

As I am finishing up my new mash tun this evening and getting ready for all grain, I want to make this one of my first all grain brews. I have a few more on the books before I will get to this one.

I was looking at Yooper's Marzen recipe. If I made this at the end of the month and figured on 3 weeks (give or take) to finish fermenting, slowly drop temp to 35 and 6 weeks of lagering @ 35 degrees in my temp controlled fridge that would push me out until the first part of June. But I want to keg instead of bottle. Should I keep the keg at those temps for the rest of the summer? or is it better to bring back up to a little warmer temps like around 50 degrees? I have the fridge with the temp control unit on it for fermenting and lagering, but do not have a kegerator yet, it is on the list as well.

I have brewed many beers in my day, but never a lager. I do however do an Oktoberfest Ale every year for my neighborhoods annual Oktoberfest party.

In the next couple months, I will brew my Kolsch recipe and let it ferment at least 2 weeks. I save the yeast cake, as I pitch my Oktoberfest Ale recipe upon it.

Here's the recipe. You can brew it as late as August, and have a nice Marzen ready in Oktober.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f63/bee-cave-brewery-oktoberfest-ale-38880/

I brewed the Munich Madness recipe from Brewing Classic Styles about two weeks ago.
It's the start of a string of lagers I plan on brewing with the same yeast.

Ed, I actually tried your recipe using the mini mash conversion listed in that thread, and took a keg to Elk camp!! :mug:

Most excellent. I may brew up another batch for this year as it was a big hit.

But, I am wanting to try a traditional Marzen, which of course was traditionally brewed in March and lagered over the summer months. I have the ability to lager with my spare fridge with the temp controller but I am not sure I want to dedicate the thing for the next 7 months! If I can get it past the lager stage and then hold in the 50 degree range without ill effects I would definitly go for it. If I need to hold at lower temps that may not be a problem either. I have some friends who cater here in town that I 'm sure would lend me a small space in thier walk in cooler for the long term storage after the initial 9 weeks or so... as long as they got the first taste!

I don't make a Marzen every year, but almost every year! I love the idea of the long lagering and then "saving" the beer until fall. I think any lagering after about 12 weeks probably isn't doing anything anymore, but I love the tradition of it!

just ordered the ingredient for Yoopers Marzen from the LHBS with a slight change from the caramunich to a Crystal 60 because that is all the LHBS had.

I plan on brewing tomorrow. This will be my first all grain with my new mash tun and my first brew with my new Bayou Banjo burner.

I will keep you updated on the progress. :mug:

Another thread I saw the other day had a link to northern brewer's blogspot about a recipe for it called "beware the ides of marzen". A lager that they also said is very good as an ale too. They had it as an AG or extract.
Now if someone could just come up with a clone of Wurzburger Hofbrau's original...

I'm making my Marzen tomorrow. I have the yeast starters going now and I'm getting my brew stand out of the garage to set it up. It the first decent weekend here in Ohio that is ok for brewing outside. I've been stove top brewing all winter.

I've never larger for this long but I have room for six kegs so I'll lager in the keg no problem.

Back