Help: Keeping Keg Lines Cooled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

effy

Reaction score
I just got the deal of the century after a good year of looking on craigslist and everywhere else for a kegerator. I picked up an older model Superior kegerator for $50 and it works great. My problem is that I will not be using the tower that is already on the kegerator instead I want to run 3-4 beer lines through the original hole about 18-22 inches away into a small box connected to my outdoor bar. I was ready to purchase one of the fans from micromatic.com before i realized there is a place near the fan inside the kegerator to connect a blower hose.
First Question: Will this be strong enough to keep the extra 18" of beer lines cold?
Second: If so i have been searching everything and reading anything related to find the answer but I am getting a mix of answers on how to set it up. Do I run the hose into the box that the taps will be in and let the cold air hit the lines there first and travel back into the kegerator or do I run the beer lines inside the blower line and let the air travel back on the outside of the tubes?

Thanks in Advance,
Effy

You definitely need a tube inside a tube, that way you have an air return. I ran 3" pvc pipe from me keezer to the wall mount tap box, then I ran a piece of 1-1/4" piece of flexible tubing inside that with the beer lines in that.(You will have to go bigger with 3 to 4 beer lines). I cool the lines with a pc fan installed inside a homemade cardboard box. It works well, I never have foamy beer.

Is the pc fan inside the cooler? Do you possibly have any pictures of it?

Thanks
Effy

Another thing to think about.... 18" of 3/16 line is about 8ml... that's 0.27 oz, or less than 2% of a pint.

To me, in a glass (or better yet a pint!), this makes little-no difference in temperature.

My lines seem to be balanced quite well, and if I pour carefully I get only a teeny bit more foam on the first glass than on subsequent ones. I like a bit of head anyway.

Not an expert, just set up my system myself (and am having other challenges...) but I had been planning a blower or other cooling system, and have found it unnecessary.

Eight feet of liquid line holds less than 2 ounces.

I don't think it's worth trying to refrigerate 18" of hose. Insulate? ...probably so...but refrigerate???

Back