Ever have a credit card number stolen???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I work for Forrest, and have been looking into this. The moment I got a text message on the subject I contacted our hosting company.
Since then, upper level administrators have looked into the situation and there is no evidence anything has been compromised.
Here around the shop things are locked down. There simply are not pieces of paper with credit card numbers on them, only a couple of people have access to that information and it is through a secure connection.
-Jeff

what i'm saying is, Forrest knows people on here have had issues with their CC's, and he is currently investigating.

I think he'd be able to investigate it better if he knew details of all the instances. Like I said, he might see a pattern in the orders.

Noone's trying to pursue of even blame forrest. But EVERY instance of this, of anyone having issues like this who just made a purchase there should reported it to him. So he can have all the evidence/help he needs to figure it out. That's HELPING not hindering or harassing....

what i'm saying is, Forrest knows people on here have had issues with their CC's, and he is currently investigating.

Yeah, and she should compile a list of exactly WHICH people on here are having issues.....Why is that such a bad thing? He then can look through his order files or whatever and for example see who took the orders....if all 10 REPORTED customers had orders taken by employee "z" then he's going to have a better case to get to the bottom of it. How is that a bad thing? How is that actually not HELPING Forrest?

this has happened to a lot of people who haven't ordered from AHS.

like me.

why don't you guys inform northern brewer or b3 as well?

The proper method would have been to perform chargebacks on the fraudulent charges. That would have voided the tickets and held the funds in suspension while the airline has to prove the actual cardholder purchased the tickets. If they cannot, then it's credited to your account.

Like I said, Aeromexico said they could not do that, and that it would have to be handled through my bank.. My bank just asked me that I call them first, before they took action.. so I did... I will not be responsible for the charges, nor for any charges that are incurred while this is all being straightened out.. It's a small bank, and the girls there told me to not even deposit money for the legitimate charges but to wait until they actually come through (those that still might), and then deposit the money to cover them, that they will waive any overdraft charges..

Like the commercial says.. "I love my bank" and I'll never go back to the big conglomerate ones.. never...

But still, this is a major PITA and disruption of my life...

Mail a check or just set up online bill pay which will directly debit your bank account.

See my other response to this... For reasons to entailed to go into, those are not options for me at this time in my life..

Why do I feel like a rape victim in court being interrogated by a prosecutor implying I deserved it?
:D

Because it's an alleged crime at this point that needs to be investigated by the authorities, not you. The airline also has a privacy policy in place.

They seemed to have no problem approving the sale to the 'supposed me' in the first place, but now they have a problem with letting me know who the listed 'supposed me' is? It should work both ways...

I have no right to privacy from the person who committed the fraud, but the criminal has a right to privacy from his victim?

Only in America....

this has happened to a lot of people who haven't ordered from AHS.

like me.

why don't you guys inform northern brewer or b3 as well?

At this point I haven't informed 'anyone'... except my bank... and you guys... The B3 purchase was made 'after' the frauds took place.. but I didn't know it yet.... I didn't know till the next day, when I went to the bank to make a deposit to cover the purchases this weekend...

r8rphan have you talked to your bank? They discovered my problem last year and after a quick trip to my bank to sign a disputed transaction affidavit I got my money back in my account within 12 hours.

They also had me file a police report, so that they could pursue it legally if their theft prevention office could get enough leads to build a case.

Moto what is your beef? Are you just mad that a whole bunch of internet folks didn't seem sympathetic when it happened to you? Seems like your expending a lot of trollish hate and negativity about this????

If you don't have anything helpful to say, then wtf are you hanging in this thread???:confused:

*shrug*

I ordered from AHS on Saturday and as of today there have not been any unauthorized charges on my card. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for suspicious activity, however, thanks to this thread.

r8rphan have you talked to your bank? They discovered my problem last year and after a quick trip to my bank to sign a disputed transaction affidavit I got my money back in my account within 12 hours.

They also had me file a police report, so that they could pursue it legally if their theft prevention office could get enough leads to build a case.

I was at the bank when I found out... I made the calls to aeromexico right there with a bank manager sitting across from me... She had me fill out a crime/fraud report right there, shich was also on their checklist of things I must do to undo the mess. It was second on the list after 'calling the company where the charges were made, and right before the handwritten letter of what happened...

The only part of this that is a 'real' PITA, is the fact I had to cancel the card and disrupt how I do business for the next week to ten days (including messing up the legitimate purchases I had out there)...

I'm not worried about the bank end.. They will make it all right in the end... It's the interruption of my life that pisses me off more than anything...

i have no beef, and i'm certainly sympathetic to the OP

the other thread just turned into a "AHS got hacked" thread, which I think is unfair.

why are you yelling at me? what do I need sympathy for again?

all i ever said was let AHS do some investigating. apparently that's "trollish hate"

Personally, I think this is more likely an issue of internet security than anything else.. All these damned pop-ups I get all the time make me nervous...

If the govt is so hell bent on regulating something, how about they regulate 'that?'

I was at the bank when I found out... I made the calls to aeromexico right there with a bank manager sitting across from me... She had me fill out a crime/fraud report right there, shich was also on their checklist of things I must do to undo the mess. It was second on the list after 'calling the company where the charges were made, and right before the handwritten letter of what happened...

The only part of this that is a 'real' PITA, is the fact I had to cancel the card and disrupt how I do business for the next week to ten days (including messing up the legitimate purchases I had out there)...

I'm not worried about the bank end.. They will make it all right in the end... It's the interruption of my life that pisses me off more than anything...

Yeah my happened 2 weeks before Christmas. Had the bank not returned the money, I would not have been able to have shopped for anyone. As it was I too was without a card, and had to do cash for everything. It was 10 business days before I got a card and an additional 2 days before my new pin number came as well.

But brings up a good point did the transaction happen using the number on your card or electronically on your checking account? In my case they were able to make certain the transactions were done with the card number so my checking account was safe. So I didn't have to close that out, just monitor it. But that's a lot better than having to close out an account where I have direct deposit in and electronic payments taken out. So just double check to make sure it was the card and not the account that it was drawn against.

The tickets were purchased on line, so it would have had to be the card number.. I pretty much don't use checks anymore, and pretty much no one other than the bank and my mortgage company know the account number.. maybe pay pal.. but I can think of no one else...

I really see no way this isn't the result of either internet security problems or a crime committed at one of the businesses I deal with on line...

Personally, I think this is more likely an issue of internet security than anything else.. All these damned pop-ups I get all the time make me nervous...

If the govt is so hell bent on regulating something, how about they regulate 'that?'

Yeah there's a couple of new phisihing things floating around lately. One of them is a Yahoo Mail Cue...it looks like there's was a problem with an email sent to you that is sitting in a cue and you need to click on this link yadda yadda yadda to retrieve it. I googled it and found out it was scam.

But do yourself a favor update and run all your malware and anti virus stuff and give your 'puter a thorough cleaning. In fact go to c-net and download a couple of new ones too, even if it's for a week long trial, just download, update and run them as well. Just make sure before you make any more transactions.

Another thing I did, is called some of my utilities and car insurance that I used my card number to pay my bills, and had them manually change my card numbers in my account rather than me, since I wasn't sure still what might have been lurking on my computer, like a keystroke reader, that would catch me changing my account with my new card number.

I got a call from my bank 3 months ago. They said there had been a breach at a vendor I used and my card info might have been stolen. Sure enough, around Christmas someone in Australia charged $0.06 on my card. They were testing it before the big ripoff. I disabled the card immediately. Close call.

did they just cancel the card, or change your bank account number? if they just cancelled the card it shouldn't take too long to issue a new one. also, there might be some kind of direct-bill pay feature you could use with your bank to get some things paid for.

I just got new cards in the mail randomly, as apparently one of the merchants i shopped at was compromised, but my specific card/account wasn't.

wait....this might be too much trollish hate...sorry...

I got a call from my bank 3 months ago. They said there had been a breach at a vendor I used and my card info might have been stolen. Sure enough, around Christmas someone in Australia charged $0.06 on my card. They were testing it before the big ripoff. I disabled the card immediately. Close call.

Yeah they made 2-3 purchases under 2 dollars before they started buying 100.00 gift cards or something like that.

I wasn't sure still what might have been lurking on my computer, like a keystroke reader, that would catch me changing my account with my new card number.

This is what I'm most afraid of.. and it's the most intrusive.... I've already changed a couple passwords, and used copy and paste to enter them.. I will be using the copy and paste feature now to enter passwords from another file.. You can't read keystrokes if there aren't any. .. other than Cntl-V that is...

It's not a phishing scam in my case. I leave no possibility for that.. I 'always' initiate contact on my end...

Like I said, Aeromexico said they could not do that, and that it would have to be handled through my bank.. My bank just asked me that I call them first, before they took action.. so I did... I will not be responsible for the charges, nor for any charges that are incurred while this is all being straightened out..
You aren't getting what I'm telling you. I've been on both sides of the issue both as a cardholder and as a business that processes credit cards for payment.

Aeromexico has a valid transaction from their perspective, ie someone bought a ticket online and the CC was valid and charged. If you didn't make the charges what you need to do is file a chargeback with your cardholder (bank). They will flag the charges as possible fraudulent transactions. This will be sent to the business (Aeromexico's) merchant account holder that they use to process charges. Their merchant will immediately withdraw that amount of funds (ie your money) from Aeormexico's account and hold them in theirs (merchant account) until the dispute is settled. The merchant account will put the burden on proof on Aeromexico to prove that you the cardholder did indeed and without doubt make said transaction. They have 10 calendar days to do this. If and since they cannot, the merchant account will favor in your benefit and the charge amount will be refunded to your account.

You and Aeromexico have no business directly and they do not answer to you no matter how much you think so. You deal with your card issuer which is your bank. They flag it, it goes through arbitration, then the card account is credited.

But still, this is a major PITA and disruption of my life...
I agree. It sucks. Been there before myself.

They seemed to have no problem approving the sale to the 'supposed me' in the first place, but now they have a problem with letting me know who the listed 'supposed me' is? It should work both ways...
They are bound by many policies and agreements, one of them a privacy policy to their customers. To them, you are just some guy claiming the charges weren't legit. They will take your phone call with a grain of salt. If it wasn't legit, deal with your bank not the airline.

I have no right to privacy from the person who committed the fraud, but the criminal has a right to privacy from his victim?
It's assumed it's a crime, but it could be a mistake in the system of processes (actually very complicated process and prone to f-ups). So you get the guy's name/address, reverse lookup his phone number and give him hell on the phone with all sorts of accusations. Turns out the numbers got mixed up in transfer at the automated clearing house and it's not his fault nor your fault. How would you feel if you were the other guy in that situation?

Just let the arbitration process go and you'll see your money back within 10-15 days on average. I understand you are upset. I've had this happen to me a few times so now I know what to do.

You aren't getting what I'm telling you. I've been on both sides of the issue both as a cardholder and as a business that processes credit cards for payment.

Aeromexico has a valid transaction from their perspective, ie someone bought a ticket online and the CC was valid and charged. If you didn't make the charges what you need to do is file a chargeback with your cardholder (bank). They will flag the charges as possible fraudulent transactions. This will be sent to the business (Aeromexico's) merchant account holder that they use to process charges. Their merchant will immediately withdraw that amount of funds (ie your money) from Aeormexico's account and hold them in theirs (merchant account) until the dispute is settled. The merchant account will put the burden on proof on Aeromexico to prove that you the cardholder did indeed and without doubt make said transaction. They have 10 calendar days to do this. If and since they cannot, the merchant account will favor in your benefit and the charge amount will be refunded to your account.

Then you're not reading what I've been typing over and over in this thread :D.. I already did all that with the bank.. They are handling it...

You and Aeromexico have no business directly and they do not answer to you no matter how much you think so.
Oh yes we do, regardless of what the law or cindustry policy is..

They accepted money from someone posing as me... As a result, they very much have business directly with (the real) me 'now'...

They are bound by many policies and agreements, one of them a privacy policy to their customers. To them, you are just some guy claiming the charges weren't legit. They will take your phone call with a grain of salt. If it wasn't legit, deal with your bank not the airline.

It's assumed it's a crime, but it could be a mistake in the system of processes (actually very complicated process and prone to f-ups). So you get the guy's name/address, reverse lookup his phone number and give him hell on the phone with all sorts of accusations. Turns out the numbers got mixed up in transfer at the automated clearing house and it's not his fault nor your fault. How would you feel if you were the other guy in that situation?

Just let the arbitration process go and you'll see your money back within 10-15 days on average. I understand you are upset. I've had this happen to me a few times so now I know what to do.

Yadda, yadda... It's still BS.. And I'm not going after the person... although it would be just if I did so...

I don't care about the money.. I know the bank will make it right.. it's the fact that I my ability to do normal business has now been interrupted that pisses me off...

'Justice' would be to find the person who did this, and force them try go through their daily life with a 75lb iron ball chained around their ankle... for 7 times the length of time that I will have been inconvenienced...

Wow. Been keeping up on these threads, and something just occurred to me. I recently had one of my CCs reissue me a new card. About a year and a half before it expires. They mentioned something in the letter about how they detected a potential security breach so they are pre-emptively issuing new cards with the same number but different security sequence. It has nothing to do with anything I did, just making sure my assets are secure. Which is fine, I don't carry a balance on the card, so I would be able to figure it out quickly if anything came up. All this explains a lot.

Any chance any of these events are on a Discover card?

Quite honestly, I think the girls at the bank gave you bad advice. You should have just called the number on your card to report fraud. They would have stopped the transaction and you would have no responsibility at all to Aeromexico. While I'm sympathetic to Aeromexico for having been involved with this transaction, you are protected the same whether it's a debit/check or credit card.

Quite honestly, I think the girls at the bank gave you bad advice. You should have just called the number on your card to report fraud. They would have stopped the transaction and you would have no responsibility at all to Aeromexico. While I'm sympathetic to Aeromexico for having been involved with this transaction, you are protected the same whether it's a debit/check or credit card.

They followed the bank procedure to the letter.. I saw the paperwork and have a copy of it myself.. They went right down the checklist of things to do, and we did them in order...

This bank is great.. It's a small \bank with only a handful of branches in the north state.. It's over 100 years old, and the service and personal attention I get here 'blows the hell out of' the service I got from Security Pacific, Union Bank, Wells Fargo, or any other 'big chain' bank I've ever dealt with...

They've 'always' had my back.. The girls are great, they live here in the same small community.. They go to the same community events, and are part of the fabric of the town...

I trust them far more than some nameless person on the other end of an 800 number...

And like I said, I discovered this while I was at the bank, and they immediately took charge of the process... They showed no indication that this was the first time they'd been down this road, and I have no reason to believe that they will not do what is best for me...

Any chance any of these events are on a Discover card?

Visa Debit card...

Another possible link is internet providers and or internet hosting companies... There are so many layers in the way we do business now, it's nearly impossible to find out who all knows what about us...

Someday, in the not at all distant future, this is all going to bite us in the ass in a huge way.. Information technology is far more powerful than any nuclear weapon or gun that has ever existed..

far too many people are collecting, storing, processing, and using far too much information about far too much stuff, and with the touch of a keystroke can turn a persons life entirely upside down.. or that of a company... or a nation...

Our economies, our militaries, our abilities to do business and manufacture.. are 'all' computerized and accessible via 'the internet'... scary...

Does any of this connect back to PayPal in any way? Several have mentioned having shopped at AHS, but their site has the option to put in your number directly OR go to PayPal. Is PayPal implicated here?

Not for me.. I wish I could use paypal everywhere.. It seems to me that they have the best security available for online transactions.. You have the opportunity to review and reject anything before it actually hits your 'real' bank account...

That being said.. it's still online...

We have not been compromised that I know of. The common denominator is that people on this forum order from Austin Homebrew. I will look further into this matter.

I assume the banks are taking care of you are refunding any wrong charges.

I will keep you posted.

Forrest

Forrest.. My card was used to fraudulently buy airline tickets this weekend (or yesterday).... I also bought from you guys for the first time last week..

Doubt it was from a vendor like yourself, but just thought you should know.. if it helps any...

BTW, my perlicks should be here this afternoon.. thanks.. great deal, and great service... unfortunately I ordered beer line from B3 this weekend, and since I canceled the card and they have not shipped the order, I may not be able to hook them up for a while.. a long while....

I've had it happen to me twice, just 2 weeks ago was the latest. Bank tracked it back to the wife's college. She bought some books for a class. Bank was cool and returned the money but it still sucks. Some ******** bought tickets from a British travel agency to Rome. Gotta love my bank. I can't buy gas using my card in Florida because of the 'rampid' credit card theft in that state...but tickets to Rome? No problem.

Unless the person that lifts the CC # is buying airplane tickets for someone else, I think it's a bit nuts that they'd buy airplane tickets - too easily traceable.

Even if it's for a 3rd party, the traceability is extremely high with airplane tickets...

M_C

Considering that the tickets were bought from Aeromexico.com, it may be that they had nothing to worry about at all, considering the state of affairs in that country right now...

I have no idea of knowing what country they were purchased from, where they were departing from and where their destination was to... and probably never will..'

One thing is for sure, they aren't gonna get to actually 'use' the tickets.. I called AeroMexico and canceled the reservations... Now it's up to the bank to get the moola back and credit my account properly...

I 'would' like to know where my card got compromised though, so that I don't have to change 'everything'....

I would suggest paying through paypal whenever possible, it's very secure.

_

I have only purchased from AHS once, and it was just about a week ago. Today I got a call about fraudulent charges. Apparently, some ****** tried to book a flight on Jet Blue and bought a few things for the trip. Fortunately, my credit card company caught it. Funny thing is, the clown got flagged when he/she tried to purchase travel insurance....travel insurance...really?! I rarely use the card in question, so it's not difficult for me to pin down the source of the problem. I am no expert, but AHS seems to have been compromised in some way. I am not trying to smear them by any means. They have a good reputation and I'm sure they worked hard to get it. I just want to raise awareness about this issue.

tried to book a flight on Jet Blue and bought a few things for the trip.

Whoever it is sounds like they are going to be requesting a lot of vacation time since they bought tickets on Aeromexico on the other thread.

I work for Forrest, and have been looking into this. The moment I got a text message on the subject I contacted our hosting company.
Since then, upper level administrators have looked into the situation and there is no evidence anything has been compromised.
Here around the shop things are locked down. There simply are not pieces of paper with credit card numbers on them, only a couple of people have access to that information and it is through a secure connection.
-Jeff

The computer used to access the site would be the weak link IMO. It should be checked. Reloading it to be on the safe side wouldn't hurt. It could have a keystroke logger or program that specifically checks the data stream for CC and related info and then sends it out. You probably need a professional to do this to make sure.

The computer used to access the site would be the weak link IMO. It should be checked. Reloading it to be on the safe side wouldn't hurt. It could have a keystroke logger or program that specifically checks the data stream for CC and related info and then sends it out. You probably need a professional to do this to make sure.

those systems have been scanned from a live linux cd to run kaspersky, part of routine auditing, they are clean.... and being checked again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back