Very Bitter Taste Before Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jawats

Reaction score
I'm on beer #4, and creating a mixed grain / extract pilsner, based loosely on this recipe - "Thanks Pils."

I went through these steps:

1. Steeped the 3 lbs of grains at 165 - 170 for 45 mins, then let them drain in.
2. Steeped the barley and rye for 35 - 45 mins, then let them drain in.
3. Brought it to a boil, added the 3lb extract, and hopped as requested.
4. Added water up to 5 gallons, then brought it down to 74 degrees.
5. Sprinkled Munton's Gold Ale Yeast (instead of the lager) on top of the wort, then closed it up with the airlock. Put it in my basement, which is 65 - 70 degrees and dark.

I waited three weeks, took a FG reading, which seemed to put it around 3% alcohol. I tasted after adding priming sugar, and it was surprisingly bitter - too bitter, I think. The other beers I made were much less so at bottling.

I am, of course taking the wait and see approach for 2-3 weeks of bottle fermentation, but...

Any thoughts?

I did my first all grain this weekend and it had a very bitter taste, I think from tannins as I likely used too hot of sparge water (and your steeping temp might have been a bit high which might have caused the same thing). I have been reading what to do now and see that some gelatin may help settle out some of the tannin bitterness and I will use a few days before bottling. You are too late now to try some gelatin, but it might be an option in the future. Anyone else want to weigh in on 165 to 170 as steeping temps.

BooneDocks (a reference to Wyandotte?),

That was a thought on my mind as well. I have my fingers crossed against it.

-Jonathan

165 to 170 is a lot higher than you need to be for steeping grains- 150-155 is better. At 170 or above, you can extract tannins from the grains- I've done that myself before. That would be different than bitterness, though, so I'm going with the good Reverend's advice. Judge not, lest ye taste your beer in several weeks and find it to be awesome.

165 to 170 is a lot higher than you need to be for steeping grains- 150-155 is better. At 170 or above, you can extract tannins from the grains- I've done that myself before. That would be different than bitterness, though, so I'm going with the good Reverend's advice. Judge not, lest ye taste your beer in several weeks and find it to be awesome.

Elk,

Thanks for the advice, and the pithy quote. :)

165-170 is at the high end but probably okay, so listen to the Rev.

Palmer's How to Brew says:
The crushed grain is soaked in hot 150 - 170°F degree water for 30 minutes...The extraction of tannins is especially prevalent if the water is too hot - above 170°F. Previous practices regarding the use of specialty grains had the brewer putting the grain in the pot and bringing it to a boil before removal. That method often resulted in tannin extraction"

As long as you kept it below 170, it's probably fine unless you did a really long steep or really tried to wring out the grain sock. Even a bit above 170 for a short time probably isn't going to be too bad, just try to avoid it in the future.

165-170 is at the high end but probably okay, so listen to the Rev.

Palmer's How to Brew says:

As long as you kept it below 170, it's probably fine unless you did a really long steep or really tried to wring out the grain sock. Even a bit above 170 for a short time probably isn't going to be too bad, just try to avoid it in the future.

I let the grain sock drain, but did not wring it. It was only above 170, if at all, for a very short time. We'll (I'll) see. :)

Thanks!

Back