Old brass / copper wash tub for mash tun or boil pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibarkalot

Reaction score
I have acquired an old oval brass or copper boiler tub that I would like to turn into a mash tun or boil pot. I know that aluminum reacts badly to beer but do copper or brass?

Copper is excellent for brewing. Depending on how old the item is, it may have been constructed with lead / tin solder?

Post a pic, I'm curious what you have?

wilserbrewer said:
Copper is excellent for brewing. Depending on how old the item is, it may have been constructed with lead / tin solder?

Post a pic, I'm curious what you have?

I inherited it and must pick it up. Will post photo then. If it is leaded I might be able to have a neighbor take it apart and braze it. Thanks

I inherited it and must pick it up. Will post photo then. If it is leaded I might be able to have a neighbor take it apart and braze it. Thanks

It might be very difficult to take apart and reassemble. A lot of those old boilers are crimped together in a lap seam and then soldered. Possibly better to keep it as an antique.

ChuckO said:
It might be very difficult to take apart and reassemble. A lot of those old boilers are crimped together in a lap seam and then soldered. Possibly better to keep it as an antique.

Well it has become a wood bin. After a closer look I found a puncture in the bottom seam that will not be easy to close. Thanks to all for responding but unfortunately it has become a moot point. However after spending a day a local junk stores a found a 10 gal SS milk/ cream can. It's made a of very heavy SS and doesn't even have a scratch on it. How about $85 bucks. I think I did well!

Back