Wtf is cold-brewed irt Guinness Black Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gypsyhead

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So... What does Guinness mean by cold-brewed in reference to their new Black Lager? If its just that it's fermented cool, (like a lager), then that's false advertising, as the traditional definition of "cold-brewed," (with regard to coffee or tea), is a brew that's allowed to steep in cold water. I sincerely doubt that's how Guinness achieves mash conversion, so what's the deal?

Its just marketing. Its a lager and lagers are brewed at colder temps than ales. Bingo cold brewed.

yes, it's a lager and lagers are brewed colder than ales. I tried one. That was enough for me, I'm back to my own brews.

Brewed colder? C'mon guys.

Fermented colder.

Idk about you, but when I'm brewing wort for an ale, it's not boiling hotter than the wort for a lager.

they obviously aren't targeting homebrewers. of course we can see through the marketing.

A bmc drinker bought me a sixer as thanks for helping him with something. It wasn't too bad. I made him drink one too, he said "damn that's really dark and strong ... but its not too bad."
Lol

I don't think the regular public even cares. Most "regular beer" drinkers I know consider Guinness to be adventurous, and probably wouldn't even notice that there was a difference between the stout and lager...because it's not a stout, it's a Guinness. Hell, the only thing people cared about the new BL Platinum, is that it's 6.0%.

Teromous said:
I don't think the regular public even cares. Most "regular beer" drinkers I know consider Guinness to be adventurous, and probably wouldn't even notice that there was a difference between the stout and lager...because it's not a stout, it's a Guinness. Hell, the only thing people cared about the new BL Platinum, is that it's 6.0%.

I tried the BL Platinum...I still regret it.

I don't care what their marketing says... it got my Miller Lite drinking uncle to try it. He really liked it and has recommended it to his BMC friends. If it broadens peoples horizons beyond fizzy and yellow I say cool:mug:

Whenever you see that "cold brewed," "triple hopped," or "triple filtered" stuff all they're doing is saying "It's Toasted."

Don Draper would be proud.

Whenever you see that "cold brewed," "triple hopped," or "triple filtered" stuff all they're doing is saying "It's Toasted."

Don Draper would be proud.

One of the best scenes in a series full of great scenes.

Don Draper: This is the greatest advertisting opportunity since the invention of cereal. We have six identical companies making six identical products. We can say anything we want. How do you make your cigarettes?
Lee Garner, Jr.: I don't know.
Lee Garner, Sr.: Shame on you. We breed insect repellant tobacco seeds, plant them in the North Carolina sunshine, grow it, cut it, cure it, toast it...
Don Draper: There you go. There you go.
[Writes on chalkboard and underlines: "IT'S TOASTED."]
Lee Garner, Jr.: But everybody's else's tobacco is toasted.
Don Draper: No. Everybody else's tobacco is poisonous. Lucky Strikes'... is toasted.
Roger: Well, gentlemen, I don't think I have to tell you what you just witnessed here.
Lee Garner, Jr.: I think you do.
Don Draper: Advertising is based on one thing: happiness. And do you know what happiness is? Happiness is the smell of a new car. It's freedom from fear. It's a billboard on the side of a road that screams with reassurance that whatever you're doing is OK. You are OK.
Lee Garner, Sr.: It's toasted.
[Smiles]
Lee Garner, Sr.: I get it.

My beer is "Organically Fermented." Which really just means live organisms (yeast) do the work.

My wife's in marketing and every time I see something so obvious I call it out and am quickly reminded that's how she makes money. Anything to set it apart from the others is what sells. Just because we know the difference doesn't mean it doesn't sell.

I've not tried Guinness Black yet....any good?

The water I use for brewing has twice as many hydrogen atoms as there are oxygen atoms!

they obviously aren't targeting homebrewers. of course we can see through the marketing.

There's a difference between selling the public on something that everybody does and selling the public on something that doesn't even make sense (assuming the words involved have their standard meanings). The public won't know the difference, and the informed will laugh at both, but there's something about the former that seems better

"cold brewed and dry fermented for that crisp, clean taste that never lets you down"

they probably used "cold Brewed" because "fermented" is one of those word that does not always mean it is good. (the apple that fell behind my fridge also fermented and it was not pretty) same reason they toke the "fried" out and made it "KFC"

I'm a homebrewer who likes Guinness but I don't care for their Black lager. In fact a roasty lager is not my cup of tea and consider it scraping the barrel of beer styles. But hey, to each his own.

they probably used "cold Brewed" because "fermented" is one of those word that does not always mean it is good. (the apple that fell behind my fridge also fermented and it was not pretty) same reason they toke the "fried" out and made it "KFC"

I agree. The public in general doesn't like the word "ferment." My buddies wife refuses to try homebrew because it's fermented, yet she'll sip a glass of wine or some miller without hesitation.

I agree. The public in general doesn't like the word "ferment." My buddies wife refuses to try homebrew because it's fermented, yet she'll sip a glass of wine or some miller without hesitation.

Agree. Even though that's bizarre.

Although "aged" is probably a more apt substitution than "brewed." And I think we're okay with that word. When people go out of their way to tell us their stuff is aged, it's supposed to be an indicator of quality.

My wife's in marketing and every time I see something so obvious I call it out and am quickly reminded that's how she makes money. Anything to set it apart from the others is what sells. Just because we know the difference doesn't mean it doesn't sell.

I've not tried Guinness Black yet....any good?

Tastes like Sh*t boiled, cooled, fermented, cooled and then bottled. You could make the same thing with all the sh*t your dog leaves on a walk.

Reminds me of a car commercial I saw recently. Went something like "...fuel is sprayed directly into the combustion chamber to enhance mileage..."

Uh...

Let's see...for my new brewing company my beers will feature:

"Double precision-milled Prairie malt"

"The finest spring brewing water with enhanced mineral properties"

"Natural clearing agents instead of filtering that can remove delicate flavour compounds"

"Traditional copper chilling"

"Yeast from the house strains of the finest Bavarian breweries"

"Small-batch fermentation"

"Cold hopped to preserve flavour"

"Oxygen-enhanced fermentation for crisp, clean lager character"

"Hand-selected hops"

"Traditional German mashing techniques"

"Cold-aged in bright tanks"

Gotta be dozens and dozens of other examples...

To me this beer is gross. They had it at a fundraiser I was at. They were free so I figured I'd try one. It tastes like an overcarbed off tasting Pepsi. I like a regular guinness once in a while but this is not good.

osagedr said:
Reminds me of a car commercial I saw recently. Went something like "...fuel is sprayed directly into the combustion chamber to enhance mileage..."

Uh...

Let's see...for my new brewing company my beers will feature:

"Double precision-milled Prairie malt"

"The finest spring brewing water with enhanced mineral properties"

"Natural clearing agents instead of filtering that can remove delicate flavour compounds"

"Traditional copper chilling"

"Yeast from the house strains of the finest Bavarian breweries"

"Small-batch fermentation"

"Cold hopped to preserve flavour"

"Oxygen-enhanced fermentation for crisp, clean lager character"

"Hand-selected hops"

"Traditional German mashing techniques"

"Cold-aged in bright tanks"

Gotta be dozens and dozens of other examples...

I'll take 10 cases!

Latest posts

Back