Pliny the Black?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dedhedjed

Reaction score
So I have a Black IPA and a Pliny clone on tap...they make for a hell of a black and tan...which got me thinking..."Pliny the Black?"

Here is the recipe I'm thinking about- basically my Black IPA grain bill with the Pliny hop schedule

11 1/2# 2-row
1/2 # Crystal 90
1/2 # De-bittered black malt

Not sure if I want to add the corn sugar that is in the Pliny recipe...thoughts?

Regular Pliny hop schedule...

If it turns out anything like the black and tans i've been sipping, I'll be happy.

Any thoughts?

Sounds tasty. A few years ago I did a scaled up ~1.100 Pliny the Elder that was all first runnings, before running off a second smaller beer I added some carafa special and made a ~1.055 black west coast pale ale. Both turned out well, good luck on your batch. You could always add a darker sugar if you want to add a different character to the beer (I think I added dark candi rocks to mine.)

I just brewed the same thing. I took a pliny clone recipe and added 0.75 black malt in the last 15 minutes of the mash. The idea there is to get as much color while minimizing the taste from the dark malt. If I were to do this again, I either would do 25 minutes with the black malt, or more malt- the color is just a dark dark brown and I wanted black. But it smells just like the pliny.

I put it on a yeast cake from another IPA I made earlier and it just finished fermenting in about 10 days. Now to dry hop it.

I think this thread is useless without a pic of the new label, including a black Pliny.

Latest posts

Back