Worst Non-Brewing Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puhisurfer

Reaction score
Just thought I'd share my fun of the other night. In my defense, I've only just discovered HBT, and I've been making up my own brewing technique for the last 18 years. Example: I had no idea that there was such a thing as a beer thief, I've just been leaving the hydrometer in the carboy, and checking through the gunk on the side. So:

I wake up the other night to the sound of an explosion. 4AM, and my wife is asking why our closet in the guest room just blew up. Oh ****...

I go to check it out, and there is of beer all over the ceiling, and about three gallons on the floor. And there's my carboy, sitting there all innocent-like, pretending like nothing had happened, but 3/5 empty. What the hell? That's when I see the stopper on the ground, with the hydrometer stuck up in the airlock. God only knows how long that pressure had been building up.

Okay, no big deal, it's 4AM and I'll just mop up 3 gallons of my favorite hefe, and try not to cry in my spilt beer. But why is the neighbors fire alarm going off? And why aren't they turning it off? Maybe I should go see if there is really a fire.

Nope, no fire, just my beer finding the one hole in the floor that is placed conveniently perfectly EXACTLY over the basement fire alarm. It's only been going off for 30 mins. The alarm must really like my here.

Okay, pull down alarm, mop up beer in the basement. And then of course the fire department shows up with a truck, lights flashing, neighbors on the porch.

Um, Hi Sir, no really there's no fire, I was just brewing beer. Um, would you like a sixer?

Anybody else ever had the fire department show up to check out their brew technique? Not my best day...

That is too funny! I wonder what techniques you've come up with on your own that the internet world would love to know about.

Edit: It's so fitting your username is puhisurfer, you've been brewing on an island!

Okay, you are new so I will cut you some slack, but.......

......... you are supposed to take pictures.

You should always let your carboy explode with soft things like fruit before trying hard things like glass.

In my case, I couldn't figure out why there were suddenly ants everywhere... Or why my basement smelled like musty strawberries.

Picture 615.jpg

Back