What to do with an old sanke keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pluto035

Reaction score
A few weeks ago one of the floor managers where I work found out I was a homebrewer. In the process of talking to him about that hobby he offered to give me an old keg he had sitting around. So without thinking things all the way through (and concentrating on my dreams of a 10 gallon boil) I agreed to take it off his hands. However, now that I have it home I realize that I don't have the tools or the skill to do the conversion to a keggle myself. I'm currently in an apartment with little space and without decent power tools so I fear if I attempt it, it would just go to waste. Anyone have any ideas? Maybe someone can give this keg a good home?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Interesting, I didn't think about that. It would be a pain to clean the thing out after sitting for years with about a half gallon of beer (probably vinegar) left inside. But yea, that would be a ton of Apfelwein. :off: On a side note, when I first started brewing I tried making some. I made the mistake of using bargain apple juice that tasted like water. It didn't turn out so well, even if with over a year of aging. At least I learned my lesson. The finished product is only as good as the ingredients.

Fill it with hot oxiclean and water, let it sit a few days, rinse and repeat. If it's too bad then fill it 1/2 of the way with oxi/water and put it on a buddy's turkey fryer burner and boil it for a bit, that'll get it clean!

If you want a keggle out of it, you could always just take it to a machine shop and have them cut the top off for you. Can't imagine they'd charge much for what would be about three minutes of work with a plasma cutter

Research the web for info on how to cut the top off yourself. If you think you would ever see a future use for either a Dremel (will work) or angle grinder (works even better), consider this as a reason to finally get one or the other. If this is the only keggle you will ever build, find the links that show you how to use a string to draw a circle and then freehand the cut with the tool. If you are not used to the tool, the cut may end up a little ugly but the tool can then be used to clean it up. Not hard at all and you will then have a keggle plus one or the other tool for future use.

Send it to me... I will dispose of it properly...

:mug:

On the other hand, I would either make a keggle out of it (not sure how the barrel style keg would work, but you can research that) or use it to ferment 10 gallon batches.... I use my barrel style Sanke for fermenting and I love it...

And don't be afraid to do a little DIY on this... Remember, it was free... Find a friend with an angle grinder and go to town... If you aren't comfortable with that, like the others say, find a shop and have them cut a hole in it... Voila`! A keggle...

Latest posts

Back