Aging out booze taste in my IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrookdaleBrew

Reaction score
My IIPA has been in the fermenter for 3 weeks now and has hit a steady FG. Last night I took my final hydrometer sample and of course tasted it. It's still pretty hot being that it's 11.3% ABV. I plan on leaving it in primary for at least 1 more week, then I was going to age it for a bit before dry hopping it.

This is my first big beer, so I'm just curious how long I'll need to age it before the booze taste is gone. I know I'll just need to keep tasting it as I go, but I was just wondering if you guys could give me your anecdotal info.

Thanks!

Yeah, but barleywines are a different animal all together. Lots of complex flavors need to meld and such, this IIPA had a pretty simple grain bill and only 1 type of hop was used. Surely it won't take 6 months just for the booze to mellow out, will it?

Did you use a lot sugar in the recipe? It'll probably take a while if it is hot. And +1 to what others have said.

No, I didn't use any sugar at all and I kept fermentation temps in the mid 60's for the first 7 days, so I have no idea why it would be so hot other than it is just a high gravity brew.

at 11 percent, you might never lose the hotness. My 8 percent double IPA was the slightest bit hot well into 6 months of age.

Honestly, I like just a touch of hotness in a double IPA, it just feels right.

Not a bad name for a IIPA though, "The Hotness"

Yeah, but barleywines are a different animal all together. Lots of complex flavors need to meld and such, this IIPA had a pretty simple grain bill and only 1 type of hop was used. Surely it won't take 6 months just for the booze to mellow out, will it?

Yes, it will. Especially if the grain bill is simple. That is why barleywines work, because of their complexities and balance, although IIPAs typically don't require much "balance" I would think one in the range of 11.3% would need something in the way of sweetness. That being said, I really don't know, a listing of the ingredients and your hopping schedule would help tremendously.

Keep on brewing my friends:mug:

I have no idea why it would be so hot other than it is just a high gravity brew.

Because it is 11% ABV.

I wouldn't dry hop the beer till it has aged to an acceptable balance. Let it sit in a secondary for a month and start tasting every couple of weeks. Once it calms down, dry hop and bottle.

I made an IIPA that was at 8%. It was still pretty "hot" about 3 months after brewing. Gave some away as gifts, and let it sit. Now, at 8 months later, it is awesome! The hotness is pretty much gone. It's breautiful.

I've only got 3 bomber bottles left at this point, but hey, I know I'll enjoy them. :)

Six months sounds about right. Any article or forum I've read about any "BIG" beer, says wait 6 months to a year.

That being said, I've also heard that IPA'a and IIPA's are better when they are "fresh." That is so the hop flavor and aroma are still strong. However, with over 11% abv, its going to be hot when it's fresh..no way around it. Try it after 3 months. See if you get a balance of heat and hops that you are looking for. If not, wait couple months more. :)

My "IIPA", at 8 months, does not have the same hop flavor like it used to. It does taste more like a barley wine. It's a great beer though. Splendid.

That being said, I really don't know, a listing of the ingredients and your hopping schedule would help tremendously.

3lbs US 2 row
1lbs caramunich
1lbs rye malt
10lbs light dme

Mash at 153

2oz Summit at 60
1oz Summit at 20
1oz Summit at 5
1oz Summit at 0
2oz Summit dry hop

The beer finished at 1.020, so it should still have plenty of sweetness to balance out the alcohol and bitterness.

I was attempting to clone GUBNA if it makes a difference. How does Oskar Blues manage to pump out a beer like this and not age for 6+ months?

Back