First time brew problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billk911

Reaction score
I just got done brewing my first batch. I thought I did everything right but when I went to check my gravity before furmenting the hydrometer read 1.022 instead of 1.040 like the directions say. The directions said to check it in the bucket before the yeast but I put the yeast in, shook oxygen into it for 5 minutes, then took a sample and checked it in the hydrometer tube. Would checking it after putting in the yeast chance it's gravity and if not is this a lost batch? It has been 24 hours and I have a good furment going as far as I can see..

Welcome to the forum.
Now sit back and relax, while the yeasts do their job.
I'm guessing that this was an extract recipe, and that you added some top-up water. If you do this, you need to stir really well to get a correct gravity reading. Shaking won't mix it properly. What you got was a reading of the top up water with a little bit of the wort mixed up in it. With extract, you really can't mess up on the OG unless you forget to add the extract, or add too much water.

-a.
By the way. Not mixing will only give you a low gravity reading. It won't mess up the beer as the yeasts will do the mixing for you.

Thank you for the info. You are right, it was an extract recipe and all I did was shake the bucket and didn't stir too much. It is a load off my mind now. Thanks.

I had the exact same problem with my first batch. I put in top off water and didn't stir well enough, which led to an OG of 1.032 instead of 1.042. That batch ended up turning out great and for the subsequent two I have made sure to stir well after topping off. Those gravity readings have all come back within an accetable range.

Latest posts

Back