A Tribute to Hunahpu

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oophaga said:
What's next friday? Zhukov is already being released? I have one left from last year. I know good gourd is about to hit distro and is already at the brewery and brewpub. I need to stock up on Zhukov this year. Last year but 6 but drank them all but one within like two months haha. I popped open one of my hunahpu's the other day, ill post some pics for reference for the clones.

BTW off topic but good gourd is the grandaddy of all pumpkin beers.

Yep, next Friday is the release of Zhukov.

VSGLS1 said:
I get a case of MZ every year. Will be in Tampa for black sabbath so ill be looking.

My local liquor is only getting 1 case this year, looks like I will be doing some driving. Most likely I will start driving towards Tampa and hit every liquor store on the way, hopefully I won't have to go all the way into Tampa.

I'll have to send my family to the brewery then.. I need me some more MZ.. I have.. a 2011 in my cellar still.

Good Gourd is pretty good, although I like Bruerys Autumn Maple better actually.

However, you local guys need to keep your eyes peeled. I hear theirs a Good Gourd aged in Rum barrels gonna roll soon.

FATC1TY said:
I'll have to send my family to the brewery then.. I need me some more MZ.. I have.. a 2011 in my cellar still.

Good Gourd is pretty good, although I like Bruerys Autumn Maple better actually.

However, you local guys need to keep your eyes peeled. I hear theirs a Good Gourd aged in Rum barrels gonna roll soon.

image-3845629734.jpg

This should be out sometime soon too. They had so much stuff in barrels while I was there last month.

image-694616964.jpg

Attachments

• image-3540509920.jpg
    image-3540509920.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 675
  • image-1714057689.jpg
    image-1714057689.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 667
There are 2 varients of Good Gourd this year. I'll be over at CCB early this week and will try to get some info.

Mmm.. Guava Grove in Chard barrels.. could be good..

I'd love to get some Good Gourd this year. I scored a bottle in Oct last year while in Daytona area for a little anniversary trip and a family wedding. Got some MZ, Cuc Saison, Gourd, Guava and some Jai Alai.

Have a bottle of 2012 Big Sound BBA in the cellar.

I need to find more friends in south FL to trade beer.

We'll see, maybe I'll have the funds to get some to trade. Im always up for just picking up for peeps, the only thing is shipping beer costs so damn much.

We'll see, maybe I'll have the funds to get some to trade. Im always up for just picking up for peeps, the only thing is shipping beer costs so damn much.

Yeah, let me know. I don't trade often due to shipping costs. Generally like to get one person and do a larger box with a bunch to make it worth it for everyone.

yup hah - he's onto us!

So - here's so far what I've come up with so far...
5.25 gallon batch (70% eff)
OG: 1.137 (31 P)
FG: 1.053 (13 P)
ABV: 11%

13# 4 oz Maris Otter - 47%
5# 8 oz Munich II - 20%
2# 14 oz Flaked Barley - 10%
2# Chocolate - 7%
2# Roasted Barley - 7%
14 oz Black Patent - 3%
14 oz Dark Crystal (Hugh Baird) 150L - 3%
14 oz Crystal Malt (Thomas Fawcett) 60L -3%
28.25# total

Boil for 90-120 minutes
3 oz Magnum (14% aa) @ 75 minutes - 80 IBU

Added in Secondary to make it Hunahpu'ish:
1 stick of Ceylon Cinnamon
1 Madagascar Vanilla Bean
4 oz Peruvian Cacao Nibs
1 oz Ancho Pepper (dried, deseeded, chopped)
.5 oz Pasillia Pepper (dried, deseeded, chopped)
.5 oz Guajillo (dried, deseeded, chopped)

The Hopville guy said his pepper presence was too pronounced with 2.5 oz total, so I scaled it back a little bit.

Not sure when I'm going to have the time to brew this up, but it is definitely on the queue

This one work out ok?

Unfortunately I haven't been able to brew for a while now - moving to a huge place tomorrow with a big garage just prime for all my brewing set up so I should be attempting it soon!

What mash temp are people shooting for? I know a little higher than normal due to og. I have one set up and beersmith has a 157 mash temp for a 1.03 fg from 1.111. Not hunahpu but I'm experimenting with the ridiculous roast percentages like t.

Oophaga said:
What mash temp are people shooting for? I know a little higher than normal due to og. I have one set up and beersmith has a 157 mash temp for a 1.03 fg from 1.111. Not hunahpu but I'm experimenting with the ridiculous roast percentages like t.

I went with 155, I figured with only 49% base malt it would finish plenty high. Mine went 1.114 to 1.038 in 10 days, but I pitched on an entire cake.

ABC store contact in Tampa said this isn't coming until the fall. Just sharing what I was told second hand.

Last year it was around September that it was released, but they bottled it like two weeks ago, so i guess we will see if they are going earlier this go around.

EDIT FROM FB PAGE: Cigar City Brewing- Marshal Zhukov's will not be released until we have the beer dinner which does not have a finalized date yet.

I figure MZ being the base for Hun. is relevant for discussion. Without tastings we will not be able to narrow our quest for cloning this beast. Whether with or without the spices.

MZ is being released at brewery this Thursday.

If any locals can snag a couple bottles for me as want to trade/sell please let me know.

I agree. Nail down mz and huna is even closer.

Awesome news. PM me any trade possibilities cause I have friends that are probably way better to trade with then me. Catador club members, one who has a case of the latest Brunch Stout from the brew pub, supposed to be fantastic, he has a bottle set aside for me. He also probably has plenty of hunahpu but he tends to want top trades for that one, understandably so, I am not even sure there is one worth it. Dark Lord even seems to be a huge step down. So if you got stuff and want to do like a sixer trade or even larger I'll talk to him and work out the details. He is a super cool guy, and I totally vouch for him. Beer is HIS hobby.

sfrisby said:
ABC store contact in Tampa said this isn't coming until the fall. Just sharing what I was told second hand.

Oophaga said:
Last year it was around September that it was released, but they bottled it like two weeks ago, so i guess we will see if they are going earlier this go around.

EDIT FROM FB PAGE: Cigar City Brewing- Marshal Zhukov's will not be released until we have the beer dinner which does not have a finalized date yet.

I figure MZ being the base for Hun. is relevant for discussion. Without tastings we will not be able to narrow our quest for cloning this beast. Whether with or without the spices.

The Order of the Red Banner Feast is scheduled for tomorrow. I was in my local liquor at lunch today (Florida just got New Belgium in yesterday), I asked the manager again and he said they will be selling it Friday. Hopefully he isn't yanking my chain, I guess we will see Friday.

skibb said:
yup hah - he's onto us!

So - here's so far what I've come up with so far...
5.25 gallon batch (70% eff)
OG: 1.137 (31 P)
FG: 1.053 (13 P)
ABV: 11%

13# 4 oz Maris Otter - 47%
5# 8 oz Munich II - 20%
2# 14 oz Flaked Barley - 10%
2# Chocolate - 7%
2# Roasted Barley - 7%
14 oz Black Patent - 3%
14 oz Dark Crystal (Hugh Baird) 150L - 3%
14 oz Crystal Malt (Thomas Fawcett) 60L -3%
28.25# total

Boil for 90-120 minutes
3 oz Magnum (14% aa) @ 75 minutes - 80 IBU

Added in Secondary to make it Hunahpu'ish:
1 stick of Ceylon Cinnamon
1 Madagascar Vanilla Bean
4 oz Peruvian Cacao Nibs
1 oz Ancho Pepper (dried, deseeded, chopped)
.5 oz Pasillia Pepper (dried, deseeded, chopped)
.5 oz Guajillo (dried, deseeded, chopped)

The Hopville guy said his pepper presence was too pronounced with 2.5 oz total, so I scaled it back a little bit.

Not sure when I'm going to have the time to brew this up, but it is definitely on the queue

Thanks for all the groundwork on this one...I'll be brewing this one up with Skibb's recipe and will report back. Bought all the ingredients tonight and will be ramping up a starter to brew next Tuesday.

I have a case of 12 MZ with a case of 13 Hunahpu in my beer cellar. It's ipa day so it's jai Ali this evening.

VSGLS1 said:
I have a case of 12 MZ with a case of 13 Hunahpu in my beer cellar. It's ipa day so it's jai Ali this evening.

If you want to get rid of a Huna or 2 PM me. I am running low on it, but have loads of other stuff

Hell, if anyone wants to move a couple of the 2013 MZ, lets do it. I have some good stuff, and will toss in some great homebrews too..

Want to start to tackle MZ and clone it.. RIS is one of the hardest beers to nail down solidly, IMO. Subtle parts that are so simple yet so hard technical wise.

Never had Huna, and probably will never get a chance, so, MZ is as close as I can get to help here.

Happy IPA day.

image-2503976502.jpg

Beautiful sight on a Friday morning

image-2344419440.jpg

I bought my limit. I did drive 18 mile across town to the other ABC, asked the girl behind the counter if they had any, she handed me the keys to the humidor. I found the manager and asked him, and he said it comes out in the fall sometime. Same liquor store, I guess it really helps to have a "beer guy" as the manager.

brewery sold out already. Insane. Gonna do my rounds. Stupid total wine and whole foods have a 1 bottle limit

allenH said:
I found the manager and asked him, and he said it comes out in the fall sometime. Same liquor store, I guess it really helps to have a "beer guy" as the manager.

Ha! Sounds like my mother's ABC! However she was able to snatch some bottles from the brewpub yesterday.

Oophaga said:
brewery sold out already. Insane. Gonna do my rounds. Stupid total wine and whole foods have a 1 bottle limit

I would check the Knightly Spirits by Gator Land, its kind of a haul, but the owner is good enough friends with someone at CCB to have them brew & barrel age his own stash, there were 4 or 6 barrels with Knightly Spirits written on them at the brewery when I was there last month.
The manager at my ABC said they will be getting another case next week.

People are losing their minds on CCB's Facebook page because the brewery sold out on the first day. I kind of agree they should have had bottle limits.
Back to this thread, how many of you are in secondary? Is anyone in bottles yet? How long is this thing going to take to carb? I have just under 5 months to secondary and get these carbed up, my last bigger beer (8% wheat porter) took 4 months to carb, that was the first time I used a carb calculator, so that could have had something to do with it. What co2 volume is everyone shooting for?

With that time frame, if you keg, I'd force carb and bottle from the tap if doable. That will save you months with more time to bottle condition.

sfrisby said:
With that time frame, if you keg, I'd force carb and bottle from the tap if doable. That will save you months with more time to bottle condition.

Since these will be around for the wedding and at least the first anniversary party, even though I do have the capability to bottle from a keg, I really wanted to bottle carb/condition them. If I go to secondary with additions by 8/15 and bottle 9/1, do you think they will be carbed by 1/7?

Since these will be around for the wedding and at least the first anniversary party, even though I do have the capability to bottle from a keg, I really wanted to bottle carb/condition them. If I go to secondary with additions by 8/15 and bottle 9/1, do you think they will be carbed by 1/7?

They will, especially if you use a less attenuating yeast than you did the first go around to ensure there's enough there to carb.

Back