A Tribute to Hunahpu

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did everyone see the announcement...

MZDsKlO.jpg

Did everyone see the announcement...

MZDsKlO.jpg

Yeah, and read all the posts where people were going crazy. Didn't they say after Huna Day last year that they were still going to have the party, but only release the beer in distro? That's what I remembered anyways.

Yeah, and read all the posts where people were going crazy. Didn't they say after Huna Day last year that they were still going to have the party, but only release the beer in distro? That's what I remembered anyways.

I was just at the Emerald Coast Beer Fest (Pensacola, FL) and CCB was there with Hunahpu on tap if you can believe it. I was chatting with the brewery rep and he confirmed that they are strongly considering making it available through their distributor as a result of last years fiasco.

However another factor to consider is FL Senate Bill 7120 which would make it illegal for breweries to sell directly to the public causing them to buy back their beers from distributors for tap rooms or other selling from the brewery as is the case for Hunaphu. If this bill passes and becomes laws it's a tremendous blow to small breweries in this state who make a good portion of their profit in their tap rooms.

However another factor to consider is FL Senate Bill 7120 which would make it illegal for breweries to sell directly to the public causing them to buy back their beers from distributors for tap rooms or other selling from the brewery as is the case for Hunaphu. If this bill passes and becomes laws it's a tremendous blow to small breweries in this state who make a good portion of their profit in their tap rooms.

That's very similar to here in Minnesota. The breweries can only serve they beer in the tap room strict an on-sale sort of thing. So when Surly has their Darkness Days (their RIS release event) they actually have to have the municipal liquor store come in and run a pop-up store to sell the bottles.

Off topic for the thread but nothing like showing support for small businesses! Stuff like this is what prevents small businesses from succeeding and hurts the consumer. The brewery loses a percentage of their profits by having to involve a distributor or the like and the consumer loses because this will likely cause prices to go up to lessen the profit loss.

Sadly our "representatives" here think they are parents of "whining children that don't know whats good for them" ie the craft beer brewers. Its shocking the things they've said, and then others flat out say they are friends of the distributors and back them with all their corruption in the open.

A true shame. I have long thought though that Huna day should be a stand alone "party" which has been tremendous fun the past few years. I love the idea to just send the bottle release into Distribution, it keeps the crazy craft beer speculators away, who are just there to buy as much as they can and hope to turn a profit in the black market (i.e. instagram!) I think this will keep things fun, and I hope they still let bottle sharing and coolers in, that is always cool to see what strangers are pouring.

Well I'm about to mash in. Wish me luck!

13# 4 oz Maris Otter - 47%

5# 8 oz Munich II - 20%

2# 14 oz Flaked Barley - 10%

2# Chocolate - 7%

2# Roasted Barley - 7%

14 oz Black Patent - 3%

14 oz Dark Crystal (Hugh Baird) 150L - 3%

14 oz Crystal Malt (Thomas Fawcett) 60L -3%

28.25# total

Boil for 90-120 minutes

3 oz Magnum (14% aa) @ 75 minutes - 80 IBU

Just did a mini batch, 1.2gallons stovetop BIAB. Collected 2.6gallons, boiled down. Full 11g of S04. Krausen down in 3 days but still bubbling and smells green. Going with Apple Brandy and Rum version, Gonna dry toast nibs, crushed cinnamon, oak cubes and chopped peppers and steep it all in the booze for a few days then toss just the extract in.

And someone please talk me out of throwing coffee in.

From what I got today, no need for coffee from the wort taste. It's strong enough! After about a 3 hr boil I finally got close to my numbers and hit 1.125 into the fermenter so we shall see. Made a 2L stir plate starter with 2 packs of 1968. Should be interesting.

Was watching survivor on CBS last night and the name of one of the tribes is Hunahpu! I thought that was pretty cool.

Poured off one of my bottles that I made back in February of this year. I was going to omit the cinnamon but now I'm glad I didn't. The cinnamon really balances the peppers in this one.

Yeah, it's been awhile since I made it but I think that's the one I used. I'd have to look it up in beersmith to be sure. I used the wlp 090 san diego super yeast. I made a blonde and then pitched hunahpu on the yeast cake. Can' t remember where it started (1.120?), but pretty sure it finished at 1.032. Sat for months in secondary, then months in bottles. Ready to start drinking this Beast!

very nice. i bottled an imperial stout that i used super san diego on. it was slightly boozy too which has gotten better over time - but still hasnt smoothed out

i got better attenuation than that but it never quite carbed up in the bottle - even after several months :(

id love to try a bottle of yours if your willing to do a swap

Does anybody have the "ideal" spicing for this? I'd be using a different imperial stout than this but still want to pull 1-2 gal and add the spices to that. I think I'll omit the nibs though because there's already good chocolate notes in the stout.

very nice. i bottled an imperial stout that i used super san diego on. it was slightly boozy too which has gotten better over time - but still hasnt smoothed out

i got better attenuation than that but it never quite carbed up in the bottle - even after several months :(

id love to try a bottle of yours if your willing to do a swap
No Problem. PM me your address and we'll get this swap started!
Mark

Does anybody have the "ideal" spicing for this? I'd be using a different imperial stout than this but still want to pull 1-2 gal and add the spices to that. I think I'll omit the nibs though because there's already good chocolate notes in the stout.
I'm not sure I put the spicing amounts in beersmith but if you look through this thread, you will find them. I wouldn't change a thing. These guys went through a good bit of work to find this recipe, and as i stated earlier, I feel the cinnamon really balanced the peppers. The only thing I would change if i did it again, would be less peppers.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1411698020.346488.jpg
This is from an actual lid from a brandy barrel.

So, from looking around 1 beer barrel holds 31 gallons. Going by that below are the amounts i figure per gallon for the spices:
.077oz Vanilla Beans 5gal = .385oz
.051oz Guajillo 5gal = .255oz
.051oz Ancho 5gal = .255oz
.10oz Pasilla 5gal = .51oz
.8oz Cinnamon 5gal = 4oz
.98oz Cacao 5gal = 4.9oz

Do those look about right?

So, from looking around 1 beer barrel holds 31 gallons. Going by that below are the amounts i figure per gallon for the spices:
.077oz Vanilla Beans 5gal = .385oz
.051oz Guajillo 5gal = .255oz
.051oz Ancho 5gal = .255oz
.10oz Pasilla 5gal = .51oz
.8oz Cinnamon 5gal = 4oz
.98oz Cacao 5gal = 4.9oz

Do those look about right?

That may be a 55-60g barrel.

Looks good. I soaked all the ingredients in 6 oz of bourbon for a couple weeks then poured everything into the secondary for the last month. The pepper flavor was pretty strong at first but has mellowed since. When you put the glass to your mouth, the first thing you smell is the peppers. The taste now is so rich and thick and still a little boozy. To me, it is reminiscent of Goose Island Bourbon County stout plus peppers. My son brought a real hunahpu up from Tampa and the aroma is dead on. Flavor is close. Not sure how long Cigar City ages theirs before they release it.

Not sure how long Cigar City ages theirs before they release it.

Not long. They announced they were brewing a makeup batch on 3/13 and my bottles are dated 4/17, so right around one month of fermentation & aging. I think it was released on 5/22, so ~ two months total grain to glass. It was crazy good right away too, just heavy on the cinnamon imo. There's something to be said about bulk aging and healthy fermentation, that's for sure.

Took a small sample for the refractometer at 9 days, tastes and smells ****ing amazing. Hit right at 18 brix from 30 brix for 12+% and high 30s FG. Now to get ahold of the apple brandy...

Just took a reading after 6 days and went from 1.125-1.052. Still slowly chugging so we shall see where it ends.

It tasted roasty as all hell that's for sure.

I'm planning to half what I posted based on it likely being a 55 gal barrel. Unless someone else can post what they've used with success?

I brewed an attempt on Jan 1 and it's been bulk aging since. I will probably have a blending session soon to determine quantities. I have already made tinctures of all the adjuncts, just need to determine quantities. Once I do that I will follow up here.

Took a small sample for the refractometer at 9 days, tastes and smells ****ing amazing. Hit right at 18 brix from 30 brix for 12+% and high 30s FG. Now to get ahold of the apple brandy...

Turns out Lairds sells under a different label in Va and NC (Captain Apple Jack Apple Brandy) which tastes mostly like whiskey with some apple top notes. Not at all the apple concentrate flavor I expected.

Dry heated the oak, tossed it in with rum and brandy, hit the pepper with a very short burst of grind, then tossed it in pan with nibs to briefly toast. Tossed it in to tincture. Scraped a grade b/c vanilla bean, (like 2.5" tops) then added cinnamon till I could just perceive it. It really helped take the edge off the nibs, which were almost cloying. Let sit for 3 hours, decided vanilla was too weak and did a second very small bean.

In a fit of idiocy tossed 9g of whole El Salvador beans (ala BCBCS) into the tincture. Smelled again an hour later, expecting mild coffee. Nope, the coffee took over the nose. ****. Panic! Get the aeropress and attempt filter job, spices too fine, have clogged filter! more panic, did best to fish large chunks out. Still smells good, has gotten considerably spicier this last hour, the coffee is actually not too bad, does a good blend with cacao and vanilla now the whole beans are out. Top up to 4oz with brandy and rum, toss in.

That was a ****show.

Added spices this AM. Here's what I went with for 2 gallons.

1/8oz ground cinnamon
1/4oz Special Dark Hersheys Cocoa Powder, this was a last minute thought, originally i was going to skip cacao or choclate
less than 1/8 oz each of Ancho and Guajillo chili's cut into thin strips

The smell of the spices is amazing, I don't dabble a whole lot into dried chili's usually just use fresh. If the smoky, raisiny, sweet smell of those peppers and the combination of cinnamon and chocolate come through in the final product i'm going to resent not doing the whole 5 gallon batch. It will likely lead to quickly making another 5 gallons immediately though.

Kegged last night, moderate force carb thru beer side. The spices mostly didn't make it, large chocolate, moderate coffee, light vanilla, hints of raisiny pepper. A nice oaky roundness that is very bourbonesque but less sweet.

Overall, tastes more like Big Bad Baptist to me. Deeeep dark chocolate flavor. On the 4th 4oz taster, easily my best beer to date.

Well mine sank to 1.035 after one week so I'm looking at 11.8%. Didn't really want it to go that far but oh well. Apparently 1968 is good for higher than advertised. Super boozy so far, will take a while to round out. It's black as night though, stained my garage floor with a few drops.

^damn, I can never get 1968 to attenuate that well. I make big starters on a stir plate and use pure O2. What am I doing wrong?

^damn, I can never get 1968 to attenuate that well. I make big starters on a stir plate and use pure O2. What am I doing wrong?

I made a 2L stir starter and once fermentation slowed i sanitized a spoon and stirred up the yeast. I think that it floccs so hard that it tends to quit early.

I am going to try and start today using a combination recipe from quite a few of the posts above. My 10 gallon mash tun probably isnt going to be enough, so spliting the grains between the that and my 5 gallon HLT, combining them when I go to sparge. Averaged the additions based on the barrel picture assuming it was a 55 gallon barrel. Let me know what you think.

Mash Tun 10 Gallon (18lbs grain, add 6 gallons H2O @ 169F, Target Mash Temp 155F)
49.5% 2 row [13#]
20% Maris Otter [5#]

Mash Tun 5 Gallon (8.75lbs grain, add 3 gallons H2O @ 169, Target Mash Temp 155F)
10% Chocolate [3#]
10% Roasted [3#]
5% Flaked oats [1#]
3% C60 [1#]
1.7% Flaked Rye [.5#]
.8% Special B [.25#]

Combine Mash Tuns, Drain into brew kettle. Batch sparge at 170F for total volume of 7.5 gal
120min boil. Initial volume ~7.5gal
2.2oz Summit @60min
Final volume: ~5.2 gallons,
OG: 1.114

O2 aeration for 1 min
Pitch onto yeast cake Thames Valley Wyeast from an 7.5% stout.

Ferment 2 weeks, temp controlled fermenter @64F

Secondary Fermentation, Rack to 5 gallon bourbon barrel, purged with CO2. Use first stout to top off barrel.
30-60 days @ cellar temps

Soak following additions in bourbon for 2-3 days before addition to barrel
Madagascar Vanilla Beans 0.2 oz
Guajillo 0.15 oz
Ancho 0.15 oz
Pasilla 0.3 oz
Cinnamon Sticks 3 oz
Cacao 3 oz

I made a 2L stir starter and once fermentation slowed i sanitized a spoon and stirred up the yeast. I think that it floccs so hard that it tends to quit early.

Yep, I swirled the carboy to knock as much co2 out as possible at 24, 48 and 72 hours.

One thing that is annoying is that it's so dark that its hard to see when you start pulling trub through the pickup.

I added another 1/8oz of each of the chile's this morning, a tried a hydro sample and there was really no spice at all, some of the raisin like taste was there if you were looking for it. Thinking of adding some more cinnamon as well as that wasn't coming through in the taste either.

What fermentation Temps are people shooting for? I was fermenting cool, next batch I think I am gonna go considerably warmer to increase the fruit flavors from the yeast. I feel that's the only other missing flavor is the dark fruit flavors of mz

Back