Long active fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chirodoccm

Reaction score
I am assuming all is still ok buy figured I'd ask.

Brewed a hef last saturday and all went well. Fermentation took about 16-18hours to begin so by midday Sunday was going strong. Well it's still going pretty strong 6 days later with a 3inch still present.

Any reason to be concerned?

Golddiggie said:
Nothing wrong at all...

Read up on how not to trust the airlock but trust the hydrometer readings and taste instead.

Thanks

What I thought but just hadn't seem a kraussen last that long for me yet with that much activity still going on.

Each brew goes at it's own rate...

I don't even look at my home brew until after 2-3 weeks these days. Most of the time, it's more like over a month...

I just went to where my latest batch has been fermenting, to dry hop it... My GOD it's looking great. Nice compact cake on the bottom (plenty of yeast in there too) and it's looking sooooooo clean/clear... Adding 1/2oz Fuggles and 1/2oz EKG (whole hops for both) to the brew... It's going to sit like that until Thursday evening, when it will be bottled up... We're planning to brew that night too. :D

BTW, the smell of Fuggles and EKG mixed up (I put them in a bag to get over there) is just unreal. There was some stuck to the inside of the bag, when it all went in (small particles, that we couldn't get out)... I have the bag open in the kitchen to 'air out'... I can smell it at my desk... mmmmmmm lovely... Going to have to get one chilled down as soon as possible, once carbonated, so that I can taste it... Might even break my own rule and try one after just 2 weeks in bottles, chilling for only a couple of days...

Back