Transport in carboy before bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BullFrog

Reaction score
Quick question.

I brewed a stout at a friends house 4 weeks ago this weekend. It has been in the primary ever since. We have been trying to schedule a day where I can come and bottle it, but he is crazy busy working late, second business etc... he does not have a free evening for another week or two.

How concerned should I be about oxidation if I transport the carboy back to my place (8 miles) and bottle it here?

Obviously I know I can keep it in at his place and wait for him to get free... but I am really more interested knowing the answer to this questions.

Thanks a bunch!

-J

You can transport it. Make sure it's sealed well, but the carbon dioxide "blanket" on top of it should be okay. If it sloshes inside a sealed container, that's not usually a big deal (unless there is oxygen in there for some reason).

My $.02

I wouldn't worry much about oxidation. The only concerns I would have are temperature and sediment. In 8 miles, I doubt the temp will rise much in 5 gals of beer, but you probably want to make sure you aren't putting it in a hot car. Also, don't make any stops on the way home. You are going to kick up sediment when you move the fermenter around, so let it sit at least 30 minutes (overnight would be better) before siphoning to the bottling bucket. Oh, and I am assuming you are using plastic and not a glass carboy. If you are using glass, be careful for starters. Strap it down very well. And try to cover it with something to keep the light off of it.

Latest posts

Back