Creating a starter from one packet for 2 batches of beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staleb

Reaction score
I am planning back to back brew days and I will be using the same yeast for both brews. I was wondering the best way to make a starter for both. Would I make one giant starter and split it, or would i split the yeast at the start and make two starters that way? I wonder how either one of these choices would change my brewing schedule...

If it's a "packet" as in dry yeast... No need for starters, and they're like $2 each... Why not buy two?

If it's a Wyeast "packet", then I'd smack it and let it do it's thing, then pour it all into one starter to step up. Split it after it's built up and ready to rock.

its WLP 380 liquid,and im using it to make a dunkelweiss and hefeweiss, aiming for around 1.055 starting gravity for both

I would do one starter and then pitch half in each batch. That would save the time and effort of 2 separate starters. If you did break it into 2 starters then you would have to give it more time to step up to pitching cell counts due to the split.

Back