Issue with secondary fermenting in keg with priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

latestart

Reaction score
After about 6-8 days when I transfer my beer from the primary fermenter to the secondary, I've just been transferring the beer to my corneilus keg (instead of another glass carboy). In addition, I add the priming sugar and let the beer age and carbonate in the keg.

My questions are... (1) does anyone see an issue with secondary fermenting in the keg instead of a glass carboy? and (2) and issue with adding the priming sugar right away instead of waiting a week or two?

Any advice would be great... thanks!

First, I think you're transfering out of primary a little too soon. One of the reasons you use a secondary is to allow for more trub and yeast to settle out. You're still getting that only it's settling out in the keg. After you pull the first two pints, it should start running clear as long as you don't move the keg.

You'll benefit from leaving the beer in primary for 2-3 weeks to allow for more flocculation.

Yep, I see issues with both of your comments...

You need to stop being so anxious to start drinking your brew. Trust me on this one.

Fermentation is a natural process. You can't rush it without facing some consequences. In this case drinking green beer. If you wait...and wait some more your brew will taste much better in 4 weeks than 2.

Secondary fermentation is really a misnomer. There is no second fermentation going on.

Actually the fermentation should be complete prior to racking. By "complete" I mean if the wort has attentuated about 75% (about average) then your brew's done. Example: OG 1.040 (using only the 40) divide by 4 = 10, so the FG should read 1.010 before racking.

A secondary is actually a clearing tank. The clearer the brew going into the keg the clearer the brew coming out.

If you add priming sugar you'll have more yeast/trub in the keg.

I've primed a few kegs, but I do not recommend it. I also make a lot of Hefe Weizen and have primed with "gyle", but the jury is still out on whether or not that has improved my brews. Maybe for the bottles it works better.

Agreed, if you don't let the trub settle out, you're going to end up with a plugged keg.

I go from the primary to keg, but wait 3-4 weeks for the batch to clear. Sometimes I prime, sometimes I force carbonate. Doesn't seem to make much difference in trub, since little or no yeast growth occurs after racking.

As mentioned above, nothing you do will speed-age green beer.

Thanks for the great responses, I just joined the forum and this was my first post... I'm glad I joined!

Latest posts

Back