That Moment When You Realize...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJasonT

Reaction score
...that you're going to have to dump two batches of beer.

So last month I did a double batch brew day. Back to back. Ended up being about 11 hours with BIAB.

The first batch I did was a Two-Hearted clone. I mashed in normally with 170 degree strike water and cooling down to 155ish. I got it down to about 157, set my timer, and walked away. I came back about 45 minutes later and the temp read 180!!! I don't know if I left the flame on or what, but I managed to get 94% efficiency on it and a SG about 20 points high. I boiled, pitched my US05, and hoped for the best.

My second batch was a DFH 60 "clone". I don't recall having many problems with this one except my mash temp (again!) but this one was within the normal range. 83% efficiency so I was probably a bit high. Pitched a 1.6L starter of WLP001 for this one.

If I had to guess - this next part is where I screwed up. Due to some renovation my dad was doing in the garage, I had to ferment inside in my room. I used my swamp cooler and changed out frozen bottles of water twice a day. I had lots of activity the first three days , almost a disturbing amount. I think my fermentation temps were very high. The Two Hearted clone finished at 1.012 and the DFH petered out at 1.022.

So I went to keg them...carbed them up and...they taste horrible. Lots of sickly sweetness, diacetyl, and fruity off-flavors.

Out if frustration, I turned off my kegerator, closed the gas, and decided to write this before I go and dump them. It sucks, but it showed me major flaws in my process:

1) Watch that mash temp!
2) Watch that fermentation temp!
3) Calibrate my tools.

So, unless anyone has a better idea...I think these batches are going down the sink later today...

oh, man... two of my favorite IPAs. that sucks more a$$ than there is a$$ available for sucking

my deepest condolences, my brewing brother

Bottle it and give it away!

Both local brew clubs and new brewers really need a supply of flawed beer to learn what they taste like and learn how to avoid them. Heck, even your LHBS might be interested in a case or two for a class.

Don't dump them yet. Let them sit at 70 degrees or so for a few months. Some of the diacetyl will get cleaned up. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do about the tannin or fusel alcohol taste, but its still not worth dumping just yet. A strong kegged dry hop might help too.

Dump them. Time can't make bad beer good.

Even if these beers clean up a bit, each time you try them you'll be reminded of your failure and you'll die a little more inside.

Move on - a better batch cures all ills!

Im gonna split the middle....If it was me id probly bottle half of each batch and give them time. Its at least worth a shot...

Keeping a few around just to see might not be a bad idea, but definitely don't keep all of them and sit on them for months. Since they're IPAs the hop flavor and aroma will just fade and make them worse most likely.

Keeping a few around just to see might not be a bad idea, but definitely don't keep all of them and sit on them for months. Since they're IPAs the hop flavor and aroma will just fade and make them worse most likely.

I have a surplus of kegs I don't mind letting them sit if needed, I keep my temps within 2 degrees +/- of yeasts centerline

Hmm, I like your idea Thadius. Perhaps I'll do that before dumping them.

They both got relatively strong dry hops - the DFH 60 an ounce each of Simcoe and Amarillo pellets and the Two Hearted an ounce of Centennial. Both in an herb ball inside a nylon bag.

Just bottles up 12 bottles of the Two Hearted and 11 of the 60min IPA. It was depressing to have to dump them but I think I have a couple of good recipes coming up that will make this worth my time.

image-578035325.jpg

Back