Tapping a Triclamp cap ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeybeer

Reaction score
I wasn't really sure where to put this but since it involves my electric build I thought this was as good as anywhere..

Has anyone tapped a triclamp cap ?? I'd like to screw in a 1/2 NPT ball valve..
I know I could use a more expensive solution, but I'd like to install a heating element in one 2" cap and a 1/2" ball valve on another I thought I'd try this first..

I'd like to tap them so I can just screw them in, but I could also get nuts welded on a drilled hole, or use regular "weldless" bulkhead fittings..

What do y'all think ?

Tapping will work fine for the element, but you can do a little better. I recommend welding on a 1" nps locknut like you mentioned because it has a groove in it that accepts a silicone o-ring. It keeps it from squeezing out when you tighten the element. It's totally the way to go. It makes for a very nice installation.

For the ball valve, either tapping or welding on a coupler will be fine. Weldless isn't as nice as either of the other options. I don't know if anyone even offers weldless "kits" for such a thick material. The end caps are close to 1/4". Even if they did, I would steer away from them.

Check this guys ebay site too, KLG Stainless If you dont find what you are looking for email him, he usually has a lot of stuff in stock that he dose not have listed. It might be a lot less hassle to get a fitting to do what you are thinking of doing. Unless you have access to a mill, or other metal machining equipment.

Speaking form experience here, I'd just recommend buying the fittings (I also highly recommend KLG Stainless".

I tried tapping a cap as well, but ended up wasting an hour & destroying 2 taps in the process. They just weren't strong enough to tap through 1/4" stainless.

Back