Which Temp Sensor for my Thermowell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

br1dge

Reaction score
Hey guys,

A while back I bought this thermowell from bargainfittings one night after knocking a few back figuring I would get around to using it at some point.

Thermowell fitting set

Well I am getting much closer to putting it to use on the output of my HEX coil in my HLT. Here is my question. What kind of temp sensor should I get to go with this? Does it really matter? Anything to think about before purchasing? I know there is debate about RTD vs thermocouple but I dont understand all the details of it.

I plan to purchase an Auber PID soon to control my HLT and mash temps. I may end up going with a BCS controller but am still in the process of doing research on all of my options. Any thoughts on which temp sensor I should pick up or things I should consider from people that have similar thermowell??

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!! :mug:

Rtd is much more accurate than thermocouple. You'd also do better to put the sensor in the hlt than on the coil.

Edit: auber sells rtd sensor in weldless fitting. Use that in the hlt to control the temp via bcs or pid, put the thermowell in the mash tun or on coil and install an analog dial thermometer there to verify the mash temp is where you want it.

Back