mead temp too low?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liquisky

Reaction score
My old thermometer was reading high.

I have my first mead in a water bath, changing out two frozen 1 gal jugs out twice a day. I thought the water was about 62 degrees, but it turns out it has been at ~52 degrees for the past 2 1/2 weeks.

Will this just slow things down, or will it increase the chance of a stuck fermentation? Or will it turn out better at this temperature?

I used 2 packs of Lalvin EC-118 rehydrated, aerated well 11.5 lbs honey with nutrient/energizer/spice pack from homebrewheaven topped with spring water to 5.5 gal. It's fermenting away but much slower than the cyser I have going (I guess apple juice ferments quicker).

Thanks for any advice.

Warm the water to about 65F - 70F. It'll take off again. At 52F you're at the extreme lower limit for that particular yeast strain. If you keep the temperature where it is, your primary fermentation will take forever and you'll be adding frozen ice jugs until Christmas.

Apples have a lot more for yeast to feed on than honey.

Normally...I'd say to chill out...but you've done enough of that.
Take the ice out.
Leave it alone.
Post back in 4 or 6 weeks when you rack to secondary with a picture of your hydrometer sample and let us know how Great it tastes and tell us that you're sure it'll get better with age...cause it will.

Back